Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

1140e IP Phone Expansion Module

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabble

Technical User
Jun 15, 2005
CA
I have a CS1000 at 4.5 and I have the new 1140e IP phones. I want to add an expancion module to one. I have changed the KEM parameter in LD 11 to 1 and have programmed up the extra keys. The expansion module is connected to the 1140e phone securely but the module is not showing any of the programmed key features. There is power to the module. I have tried a second module but the same thing is happening.

Now I do have to program the 1140e sets as i2004 at release 4.5 so perhaps this is part of the problem.

When I stat the set I get KEM1 NOT RESPONDING.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thank you.

I've had this issue before and if I can remember, I had to delete the set and recreate it and adding the extensions to the KEM at the same time via the system terminal. Power it back on and they should come up.

Also, check to see if you have the last firmware for the 1110 as well.

- check that the 1140E (i2004) is programmed with CLS=KEM3
- check that you have C39 or later firmware on the 1140E

Thanks to both for your suggestions. I changed the CLS to KEM3 but still not responding. I am not in the office to actually reboot the set so I will have to do that tomorrow.

Is there a command to query the firmware version via TTY of an IP set similar to FWVU in LD32 for the 39XX sets?

Thanks.

Are you using PoE for the set or a power brick? We had a similar problem with several of our phones and used the power brick instead of PoE and that cured the problem. Apperantly, those PoE ports on our switches weren't providing enough power to power both the phone and exp module.

Yes, I am using the power brick for the phones but I also tried it on a set configured on a BCM50 on a POE switch and it didn't power up either.

I logged onto the signalling server as 911guru suggested and ran the isetshow this is what came back

152-00-00-08 152-00-00-08 18-0019e1e37b70-66 C1B 2.9 5100 5000

so it looks like the firmware version is C1B.

10.0.60.12 IP Phone 1140E i2004 Ph2 0x25 Yes C1B 2.9 152-00-00-08

I not too familar with the signalling server commands - is there a way to do a force download from the SS to just one IP set?

get the new firmware and currency file from nortel website and upload them to the SS via element manager. reboot the phone, on bootup the phone will detect a newer fw on the SS and update itself.

dabble..
The "currency file" mechanism which yyrkroon mentioned (and is documented in the IP Line NTP) allows you to download the latest tested/recommended IP Phone firmware from Nortel. Since Nortel releases new versions of firmware every couple of months, everybody should periodically use this method to download the latest. If your channel escalates a problem to Nortel, one of the first things they will do is check the firmware levels and request an upgrade if the phone is not current.

Thanks. I tried to download from Nortel but I was not authorized to. Is this available for end users or just vendors to download?

If you do it through the Sig Server interface in Element Manager, there is no logon required. There is a hotlink directly to the files.

911Guru

Cool! Just found it and refreshed the currency file. I was way out of date! Before I distribute it though, do you know if it downloads to ALL the sets all at once? Before I select this I want to make sure I wasn't about to take everyone out of service if the downloads occur all at once!

Firmware is not pushed from the TPS automatically. When a phone registers the phone is queried for it's FW version, and if a more current version is available, then an FTP session is started and the FW is sent.

So after updating the Sig Server, just reboot the phone you want to test on. When you are happy you reboot the rest. To do reboots remotely, see the isetReset series of commands.

Nortel put out a new guide for 4.50 and 5.00 CLI reference a little while ago that was supposed to be a CLI guide to the Sig Server. I have not looked at it, but I heard it was a good reference. Anyone seen this?

911Guru

The CLI guide to the SS was just passed around at work because it was deemed a good reference by the engineers (of which I am one.)

I downloaded the latest firmware for the 1140e sets and then rebooted the phone and the expansion module now works. I will try the isetReset command next to reboot the phones remotely.

Where can I get my hands on the CLI guide? Is it on the Nortel web site?

Thanks to everyone who responded to my query. Everyone was very helpful!

Thanks for the link. I was able to download the document.

You guys are lifesavers! Thanks.

Yup that guide is available without login to Nortel.com it appears. I was just told by a friend close to the author that the document was being updated and will be re-released in a few days as Version 2.0. Afew commands were left out and the screen captures were updated. I was able to get a copy of the Ver. 2.

Love the formating! I wish all of the NTPs were this complete and like this.

911Guru

My guess is that it was not done in India... which is seems is where Nortel is outsourcing their documentation to these days...

/sigh

No documentation (NTPs) I know are done by Innovatia. The guy who wrote this is a Nortel PLM in the US. He posted a copy of the Version 2 on another Nortel PBX user site pbxinfo.com.

I remember reading some old posts from him here, but haven't seen anything from him in years. He is pretty regular on the other site though.

911Guru

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back