Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

110 block-will it work for SL phone installations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffmoss26

Technical User
May 7, 2002
US
Can a standard 100 pair 110 block work for bridging several SL phone jacks to one line input? Maybe cross-connecting w/loopthrough on the C4's? Jeff Moss
Warwick Communications, Inc
jeffmoss26@adelphia.net

I don't see why not... Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

I have used standard 66 blocks for this several times. One thing to look into is a little device from Radio Shack that plugs into each of the jacks. What it does is detect if a line is active, and if so, doesn't allow the line connected to it access.

i have used 66 blocks before and I have gotten them to work by cross-connecting. however, it works very sporadically. i want to try my hand at using 110 blocks instead. DOes anyone know about how much a 100 pr kit (labels, standoffs, C4s) would cost? Jeff Moss
jeffmoss26@adelphia.net

Yes, 110 blocks can be jumpered that way by not cutting the jumper and looping it through each pair you want to connect, and cutting it at the last one. 66 blocks work just fine doing this as well. If you are experiencing problems with your 66 block connections, perhaps it is not the correct wire or you are using the wrong tool. Generally they have a very good reliability factor if installed correctly.

Siemon makes 110 block kits with C4's and C5's to terminate 4 pair cables, and a kit with all C5's for 25, 50 or 100 pair cables. Part numbers are S110AA2 and S110AB2. I pay about $22 dollars for them from Graybar Electric.

It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

thanks,
I talked to a guy from my dad's office to see if they have them in stock. I use the D914 tool and 24 ga cat3 and cc wire. A few weeks ago, i lost the 66 blade and i have been using a small screwdriver and wire cutters, i guess that is why its not been working. Jeff Moss
jeffmoss26@adelphia.net

Well, Jeff, I'm confused about what you do. If you are doing communications work, and hooking up wire on 66 blocks, you really need to have a punch down tool for it (not a screwdriver and wire cutters).

Why did you need the group to get pricing for you if your Dad is in the business and you called to find about about the blocks from him anyway?

Just curious, don't quite understand.
It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

i was trying to wire some stuff in my workshop and i figured that those tools would work in a pinch. as i said, i have a punchdown tool but i lost the 66 blade.

i was just wondering how much they cost. i asked the group before i called the guy from my dad's office. i thought the kits were upwards of 50 bucks and wasnt sure of the price.

hope i answered your questions... Jeff Moss
jeffmoss26@adelphia.net

You can get VERY inexpensive punchdown tools from milestek.com. $30.00 for a tool with 110 and 66 blades. Works just as well as the more expensive Harris tool. Only problem is that the blade storage has a little tab that pokes your palm depending on how you hold it. Works great if you're not using it all day every day. They're so cheap I keep one in every wiring closet so I don't have to crack my toolbox every time I need to punch a wire.
Jeff
No matter how bad it is, it can always get worse ....

thanks,
Actually, all i need is the 66 blade, not the whole tool. MicroCenter has an okay 66 blade for 15 bucks. Jeff Moss
jeffmoss26@adelphia.net

You can by a 300 pair kit for about $35 to $40 from Accu-Tech. I like the 110 block much more for several reasons. I use them at home and in industrial settings. It is a much neater install. More compact takes up less wall space.
Are TRUE Cat 5 rated due to the IDC connections. If needed cat 5 adapter can be purchased and use it for a LAN connection.

IT will work just fine for SL Telco.

Mike
Mike

Actually, I have decided to scrap the 110 idea.
I am supposed to get a used phone system so I have hooked up some 66 blocks and done some pre-wiring in my basement. I did ask the guy at my dad's office and they really dont use the 110 blocks but i could get a 50 pair block for around 12 bucks.

thanks to everyone for their help! Jeff Moss
jeffmoss26@adelphia.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back