Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

10g Intallation problem - listener.ora??

Status
Not open for further replies.

threepetey

Technical User
Jul 23, 2004
US
Very frustrating - I'm configuring a 10g database (personal editition) on a test box before creating a new production environment.

Win XP Pro
Plenty of RAM, etc. etc.

I ran a standard install using the Universal installer and had it create the seed db. I was able to log into that db, etc. using standard username/password@dbname syntax and the URL for the Database console worked, etc.

1st Problem - it installed on the wrong drive (Oracle installs on the drive with the most space) so i uninstalled and reinstalled on the C drive - appeared successful but Database console wouldn't launch (got a (paraphrase) "may be in mount unmount status - try to restore" type error message at the dbconsole URL.

A little research showed the the listener.ora service was still pointing to my K drive.

Steps I've take:
1. i uninstalled again
2. i edited the registry to remove the listener service (which didn't unistall properly)
3. i hand deleted any remaining Oralce files / keys from the system
4. i reinstalled Oracle (without the test db) and then created a db using the Database configuration assistant (and used pretty much all the defaults so i'm confident its not some weird option i chose)

Current status:
Installation appears successful but i still can't log into dbconsole OR log into the db at the sql prompt. Also now there is NO listener service at all..???

I'm assuming i need it and have no idea how to create one or install it from the software DVD.

If anyone can give me some tips or point me to some documentation on how to deal with this that would be great! (I've searched metalink, etc. and not found anything yet).

- pete

Pete,

To configure your Listener: Start..Programs..Oracle - OraHome 10 <whatever>..Configuration and Migration Tools..Net Configuration Assistant..Listener Configuration [Next]..Add/Reconfigure/Delete/Rename [Next]..et cetera

Let us know if this resolves your need.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA @ 19:06 (23Jul04) UTC (aka "GMT" and "Zulu"), 12:06 (23Jul04) Mountain Time)

Thanks!
Ahh thanks much!!

What's weird is I decided to go and reinstall from scratch with the starter db again and guess what? It created the listener and when i think created a 2nd db with the DB config tool it worked.

So the lesson i guess is that if you don't create the starter db you will need to manually configure the listener for any db you create using the db config assistant.

This seems like a "bug" or at least an undocumented inconvenience but i'm past it now at least :)

i believe i'm experiencing similar issue here. i installed orcl 10g successfully on my laptop (wins xp pro). after the installation, the IE launch and i was able to log in to Enterprise Manager with the sys account. i bookmart the url in IE. the next day, i try to login the Enterprise Manager and get a message cannot display page. the url i see in the address bar is do you have any idea how to resolve this. your help/suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back