Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

1024x768 or 800x600 to design webpages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

feri

Technical User
Nov 27, 2002
GB
So I suppose I am getting a little confused about the screen resolution. I am building a site for a guy who enters the Mr Olympia bodybuilding contests. It is a personal site about him. What I want to know is.... how many people still use 800x600 screen resolution? People with eyesight problems? 1024x768 looks allot better and this is the res I want to use for the site but I have people telling me that it is best to do it in 800x600. Most cyber cafes you go into have the res @ 1024x768. What would be my alternative to use both resolutions bearing in mind that I am using Photoshop for page layout and the rest in Dreamweaver. Any ideas guys?

I use 1024x768 as well, but there are people out there who like things bigger or their video cards don't support any higher resolution. You could make seperate pages for each resolution if you had the time. You could redirect your users like this:
Code:
<script>
<!--
if ((screen.width == 800) && (screen.height == 600)) {
	window.location = &quot;index_800x600.html&quot;;
} else if ((screen.width == 1024) && (screen.height == 768)) {
	window.location = &quot;index_1024x768.html&quot;;
} else {
	alert(&quot;Your resolution is lower than 800x600\n\nPlease adjust it&quot;);

}
//-->
</script>
I usually put a script into place that will just warn users whos resolution is less than 1024x768 that things may not display correctly. Like:
Code:
<script>
<!--
if ((screen.width < 1024) && (screen.height < 768)) {
	agree = confirm(&quot;I have detected that your screen resolution is &quot;+screen.width+&quot;x&quot;+screen.height+&quot;.  If you proceed, the page may not display correctly.&quot;);
	if (!agree) history.go(-1);
}
//-->
</script>
Best of luck with whatever you do :)

That;s if the sufer has javascript turned on. I surf without. Always desing for the lowest common denominator.

I think the best idea would be to attempt a fluid design (yes and still use photoshop) so that it looks good in both (or all) resolutions but not dependent on either one to look good.

Tiling backgrounds... percentage divs and tables...

JimS.
aka
TenTonJim
Looking for work:) (in Florida???) I live in Washington State.

Well thanx allot guys for the feedback. I have no clue when it comes to Java script so that would cancel that one out. I am intrested in what TenTonJim said about a fluid design. Could you please explain how to set this up in Dreamweaver....
F.

1024?!

800x600 is about average. I build a lot for government and university sites. A lot of their equipment is antiquated and can't handle more than 640x480! So I build for the masses. I have to build to 640.

I wouldn't dream of going to 1024 for another few years at least.

8x6 is acceptable though. My boss just &quot;upped&quot; our size to 705 pixels wide at the unversity, so that is a step towards larger resolutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back