Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

100Mhz / 133MHz FSB. Processor and memory Q?

Status
Not open for further replies.

furan

Programmer
Aug 17, 2001
GB
All,
I've set up my new pc a while back but on reading some stuff in forums I need to know if I'm going about this the right way.
I have : 1.2Ghz Athlon, 256Mb SDRAM, GeForce2 64Mb
On the POST screen as the PC boots i get the processor quoted followed by (100MHz * 12.0). Is the 100MHz the FSB? If so then having a 133MHz Althlon in there and 133Mhz CAS2 SDRAM isn't a good thing ... is it?
I tried changing the BIOS to go for 133MHz FSB. The PC promptly stopped working... would other hardware (graphics cards etc? have trouble with the the FSB being changed like this? do they normally have jumpers to support this?
Am I getting this all wrong and getting flustered for no reason?
any help appreciated . .
stu

All Motherboards are different, and different motherboards use different BIOS and Chipset. Some motherboards can set up the bios automatically or have default/optimal settings. Sometimes you cant change settings unless a certain pin setting is used to switch to manual.

Tell in your post what type of mortherboard/model you have. Probably someone else has one too.

Be specific on the RAM Type.
PC100
PC133
PC1600 DDR
PC2100 DDR

Also check the rating of the Power requirement for the Ram different Types use different power settings! For a RAM chip there is a big difference between 2.0 volts and 2.5 volts.

Also check the AGP aperture size in the BIOS. This is how much memory the AGP card can use from the system. Normally it is in sizes of 32, 64, 128, 256. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

100MHz * 12.0 The 100MHz is the processor speed with a times value of 12 = 1200 e.g 1.2GHz. FSB is front side bus and does not relate too closely to the processor speed just haw fast the motherboards bus can handle data.

Your processor has a clock multiplier of 12, and was designed to run on a motherboard with a FrontSideBus operating at 100MHz. If it will work with a 133MHz FrontSideBus, it will be running at 1.6GHz. Yours did not, although that doesn't mean that it won't; there are some standard tricks that are used by overclockers (that's what you would be doing if you were successful) to achieve stable overclocked systems. A prime example is increasing the voltage supplied to the CPU. Note that I am not advising this, simply stating facts. If you wish to pursue this, look in some of the many overclocking forums available on the web.

Otherwise, your FSB is operating at 100MHz; this will not hurt your RAM, and is what the processor was designed to do.

Hope this helps.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen.
I've got a mind like a.. a.. what's that thing called?

I had a similiar setup on an asus a7a m/b. I set it for 133 fsb and the multiplier to 12 and burned out the cpu. Then I realized it was running at 1.6 ghz. I should have used the 9 multiplier to run it at 1.2. (ie: 9 x 133 = 1.9+) Damned expensive mistake on my part. dinkyus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back