Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

1000's of values into a Parameter....

Status
Not open for further replies.

giggles7840

IS-IT--Management
Mar 8, 2002
US
I have a request for a report. they want a way to be able to enter in 1000 values (number) into a parameter and not have to do it one at a time. Basically, copy and paste it from their one doc into the parameter. Since crystal params treat values one at a time I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for an alternative way. The datasource will be coming from a SP.

I was thinking maybe there was a way to have crystal refer to a text file or convert the number field to a text field and then drop it in as one long string......

any help is appreciated.

All of this might be possible, depending upon the version of Crystal and the database being used.

Consider that technical informnation is required to make a sound architectural decision.

You may be better served to have the SP read from this text file, or import the text file into the database, or better yet, publicly draw and quarter the person that decided that a text file is a good way to generate data and write the filtering criteria directly to the database.

If you're executing this report from external code then you might create a SQL statement using the text file and query the database, then pass the recordset to Crystal.

-k

You can do this if you want it to be static, but to dynamically update it then you would have to go with a 3rd party vendor or code something yourself with ASP.

For static, save the exported data as a txt file and import it as a picklist into the default of the parameter field. Then your dropdown list box will have the exported data in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back