Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

1000M to 1000E upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkey101

MIS
Apr 24, 2009
CA
Hey All
I am upgrading a 1000m to 1000e with mgxpec cards. DO i have to mov each set individually to the new loops or can you do something through element manager with a spreadsheet or something? You cannot move cards between non-IPMG and IPMG so I am just trying to save myself from moving over 1000 sets individually.

If I recall correctly, you do a backup from Option 11c system running the SSC CPU card onto the PCMCIA card provided in Slot A. You would be wise to use a Compact Flash card mounted in a PCMCIA card adapter.

During the install, you should be asked to upload the backup copy so that it converts the data into the large switch format.

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

He is doing a 1000m to 1000E Upgrade and replacing the controllers with MGXPEC. I guess my question would be why new loops? Don't the MGXPEC just replace the TDM Controllers and the loop information stay the same?

Years ago when we had release 6.0, I got involved with merging 4 Option 61c systems into one using the MGXPEC cards. We had to out all the database configuration and rebuild it again when replacing the other 3 sites. I don't think we needed to do the main site although the processor changed from a Pentium 2 to a CPPM.

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

There used to be a Move Loop command but it's been a long time and not sure that would work

You need new loops as they break down the shelf from 1 loop of 16 slots to 2 loops of 8 each. You cannot use the move loop command either between ipmg and non-ipmg. I am doing up a vbs script to move the sets.

I once had a similar task
Opt 61 in a 1010 housing
I moved manually
There is no database conversion during the upgrade

With element manager you can create a report that will allow you to essentially save all your sets to a csv file.
You can change the TN's in Excel and then Import the new csv file in Element Manager/Phones. You need to make sure the report includes all the features that apply to your sets. I use this frequently for large moves including ACD sets.
If you have BFS keys then you will need to nul them first and update afterwards with the new TNs.

But if the set programming is simple then I would also probably use the MOV command with a script.

You guys are making life difficult for yourselves..

Yes, the loops change so there is no direct bulk method of moving sets to their new TN positions.. However..

Print a TNB and use the TNB parser to put the output into EXCEL.

That will allow you to use the power of the spreadsheet to modify the TN to the new values in the file.

Now you need to delete everything that is old, create the new super-loop structure and, the clever part..

Capture the act of creating one set and save it to a word document.

Now use the Mail Merge feature to merge the spreadsheet contents (simplify the number of fields to be accessed, not every class of service needs to be transmitted)into the form letter (the copied create a set doc) and thus produce a script to fire back the sets into the new Loop structure. You can use the same process for Trunk members too, if you dont fancy the leg work.

Its all out there in the public domain and been used for donkeys years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back