Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

1000 cycle dial up

Status
Not open for further replies.

hopper123

Technical User
Apr 21, 2007
US
I have a customer who is going around and around with a fax vendor as to why they cannot fax. Vendor has replaced cards , cables etc. Vendor sez telco trouble telco sez no way. Now they want me to intervene and give them an honest diagnosis and opinion. I need to find a 1000hz test number to measure the loss with an old TTS 28. Perrysburg Ohio is the site but any dial up number would help. Thanks in advance.

The problem is that LECs can change or even disconnect the 1000Hz access numbers in the blink of an eye, so an active number today could be dead tomorrow.

I found the following via Google. It might be of some help:

If it ain't broke, I haven't fixed it yet.

Unless you know the test number format for the Ameritec offices in Ohio, it may be time consuming to figure it out. Also who is the service provider? If the service was ported to another provider, it would be good to use a number in their switch to minimize interoffice losses. But most of the CLEC people don't seem to know what test numbers are or have any in service for testing.

Just what kind of fax problems are occurring?

....JIM....

Seem to be NDT. DSL is running on this line OK. Fax vendor says trouble is line is reversed, aren't polarity guards built into all interfaces anymore? Vendor also said wrong cord to the wall, 8 conductor as opposed to 2 cond. I think fishing season has started early this year. I ran into an ATT teck yesterday, asked him for a test number. Said he did not know, all they do is push a button anymore and all tests run auto. Whats the world coming to?

Thanks for the input.

1ST I would find a new Fax vendor, I wouldn't be able to keep a straight face if he had told me that bull story.

OLD ROLMEN WORKING ON NORTELS AND AVAYA

I agree with Perry. The vendor's explanation has got to be one of the most ridiculous ones I've seen in quite a while.

While it is true that older Touchtone phones were polarity sensitive, modern communications equipment isn't. But it is still good practice to have tips & rings wired properly.

Analog fax machines only need a 2P2C connection. If the unit is connected to an 8P8C jack, change it. When you lose DT, isolate the fax line at the demarc (except for a DSL filter) and try to pull DT from the LEC. If you have no DT, contact the provider. If you can pull DT, start checking in-house wiring.

If it ain't broke, I haven't fixed it yet.

You said a 8 pin jack, I have never seen a Fax Machine that will except a 8 pin other than if was used as a Network printer and the 8 pin was plug into that. There is no way you can have a 8 pin plug into the telco line

OLD ROLMEN WORKING ON NORTELS AND AVAYA

I'm sure they meant an 8-conductor jack on the wall, with a 6PXC line cord to the machine. Not that it would make any difference at all.

Even though it's the Fax vendor working on it, is the line cord plugged into the "Line" jack of the Fax, and not the "Phone" or "Ext" jack?

If you can't find the Milliwatt line, Sandman sells a 1KC Tone Generator. Connect to a 2nd line at the premise, call it from the Fax line, measure your loss, and divide by 2 to get the average loss.

Seem to be NDT. DSL is running on this line OK.

NDT no dial tone ?

seems like thats easy to confirm

take a look at the loop current also

Thanks for all the tips. I haven't been to this site for a year or so. I'll have to start from square 1. This fax machine is what my user calls an "all in one" Network fax/printer along with dial up fax. I'm actually looking forward to this visit on monday the 4th. Got sandmans tel diag table I can perform all tests except 1k db loss. Still looking though. Service comes from a Seimens EWSD remote digital line switch.

Any help with a dial up from this machine?

I've got a 1K test number out of Cleveland. Am I allowed to post it on here?

jeff moss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back