Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

100% use of CPU after Hard Disk Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

avib

Technical User
Apr 30, 2002
IL
Hi,
I replaced my hard disk to MAXTOR 40.0GB DiamondMax Plus 8 ULTRA ATA133 IDE 7200RPM. I use Pentium 4 1.6GB and Win2000. Since i replaced my hard disk my computer is very very slow. When I open the task manager I can see that the CPU is 100% used and the processes that uses it are software that usualy don't supposed to use more than 20-30% like Tetris game or Windows Update etc. I also see that the use of the memory is very low (almost 0%). Note that before the replacement the computer worked very good.
Please Help!!!

A small correction: when the system is idle the CPU diagram in the task manager is almost full (shows 70-80% usage)

Try upfdating the BIOS. Looks like the SOuth Bridge has some trouble with your drive.

So, if you end task on these two processes:

- Tetris game (TetriStation)
- installation of windows update

Does task manager still show the CPU at high usage? If so, you should be able to see what processes are causing this by click the Processes tab of task manager and sorting the CPU column.

Bottom line is that it doesn't sound like it's a hardware problem. Instead, some process(es) is probably eating your resources.

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

The reason I knew that these two processes (and others) are taking 100% precent of CPU usage is that I saw it in the processes window in Task Manager.
an interesting observation is that even when I close all the programs include all the ones that usualy runs on windows startup (clearing them from msconfig) I can see that the System Idle Process takes 70-100% (which can be normal) but the CPU usage diagram shows 70% full which I know that is not normal.
Something in the background is eating my CPU...

You said you've done a clean install, correct? So do it again. BUT, first install fat32 file system (you'll be prompted to do so during XP Pro install). And look, how "busy" is your CPU. If its at "0" or so (should be at zero), start installing your drivers/software ONE AT A TIME. After installing A DRIVER, or 1 PIECE of software, check your CPU usage. I've used this method to trace what was causing my pronter to crash when i started printing. Modem Monitoring porgram did. So try it, and good luck

Check your two entries for the WMI (Window Management Instrumentation Service, and Driver Extensions). Make certain the first entry is set to Automatic, and has started. The second you can leave at Manual.

bcastner, I'm sorry but I'm not familiar with the WMI.
Can you please explain in more details what should I do?
thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back