Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

100% processor usage stops PC responding

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNex

IS-IT--Management
Feb 25, 2003
NL
HELP!!..
After 3 a 4 mins after starting my XP machine SP1 (home edition) the machine stops responding completely and the CPU usage is 100%. This takes a while (10 mins) and then the usage is getting back to normal...
I the meantime the PC is not usable...

Norton says that there are no viruses.....

Please.... what is going on???

info@nexusICT.nl

What does the Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) say is the process taking all the resources?

on commone step i often use to solv similar problems is to open up the start menue and click on run. in the box type msconfig then click the startup tab of the window that comes up. the listeings in this tab are all the programs that start with windows. uncheck everything except systray and anything having to do with norton. you could alternativly leave things checked if you are sure what they are and know that its something you want. after you finish click apply and restart as asked. see how this works.

I know some HP multifunction printers that do this, its a bad dll thats at fault, but HP have yet to update it.

Until you let use know the process we are just guessing at the moment

Tez

Women are like computers, you have to press a button to turn them on.

I have a similiar problem where the cpu usage goes up to 100% whenever I open any program like Microsoft Excel or my browsers (IE or Netscape). The annoying problem is that the cpu usage stays at 100% as long as the program stay open and my computer slows to a crawl.

The problem started after I had to hard reset my computer (XP home SP1).

Any help is much appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back