Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

100% CPU Utilization

Status
Not open for further replies.

imatek

Technical User
Feb 7, 2003
US
we have a hp pavillion 1.4 GHz, 256 MB RAM, win xp home edition, everytime we boot the computer, performance monitor always show 100% cpu utilization. noticed that the rundll32 is the only application running, when i end this process cpu utilization goes down to normal. uninstalled kazaa. ran ad-aware and removed all spyware present. any thoughts anyone?

Try searching for any duplicate or corrupted copies of rundll32 on your machine. Size should be 31kb version 5.1.2600.0 (xpclient.010817-1148) it should be in the System32 Folder.

Download and run Spybot SD too.

Check for virus infection using latest available virus definitions.

Ummmm, if I remember correctly, a while back there was a worm which used rundll32 to replicate itself, as well as register itself so that it gets loaded at startup. Updated your virus software and done a full scan lately? (Just because you have the latest virus defs does not mean you don't have a virus.)

hello linney and jdemmi, thanks a lot for the suggestions. i will definitely try those.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back