Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

100% CPU Usage causing computer to reboot?! 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goodomen

IS-IT--Management
Nov 12, 2001
US
I have tried everything to figure out why my computer seemed to randomly reboot by itself. I've gone as far as taking ME off and putting XP on. Then I noticed that it only seemed to do it when playing a graphics-heavy video game. Sure enough, it consistently does it, about 10-15 minutes in. The CPU Usage spikes to 100% and the computer just reboots!! I tried putting a new, different video card in, but it did nothing to help. I added RAM, tried using a UPS, and basically replaced everything but the motherboard and the hard drive.

Anyone else encounter this? It's crazy! I have no idea what's making it happen! Can anyone help, please?

+Melanie-

Sounds more like a software problem to me. When you installed XP, did you upgrade from ME or start with a fresh load from a formatted drive? Either way, you might want to view in task manager the name of the process that's sucking up the CPU. I'll place my bets that it's either antivirus software or utility that you installed that loads with XP.

I know someone who had the same problem. Since he removed XP and installed 98SE again it was solved.

That doesn't mean that any other OS won't run. I'd try what cdogg said if you're going to install the OS again and format the harddrive before if you haven't did that already as you installed XP.

No, I didn't start fresh... Tried to get out of doing it. I think it's a good idea, but I don't understand what it is in particular about the games... I can run Word all night if I want, can spend hours on the internet, even hours multitasking, building webpages, doing some graphics-heavy stuff. Just nothing as intense as Magic Pinball or basically any RPG I might play...

Hmph!

I will take your advice, though, and do a clean install. It couldn't hurt.

Thanks!

+Melanie-

During your reload of XP, be sure to use all the latest drivers for your Video card, Sound card, and other devices. I wouldn't rely on the cd that came each one, even if the component is brand-spankin new. Go to the manufacturer's website and grab the latest one.

ESPECIALLY FOR YOUR VIDEO CARD!!

G/L!

Thanks cdogg. I had installed all of the new drivers when I put XP on, but I may have missed something. The only part is that I forgot to mention that this happened when I was using Windows ME, which is part of why I switched in the first place. Of course, I should have done a clean install, knowing that my old OS was riddled with problems...

Anyway, when I get home tonight, I'll reload everything and let you know how it goes. :)

Thanks.

+Melanie-

You have the right advice so far.

ONE QUESTION: Do you have an OLDER SOUND BLASTER LIVE 5.* ?????

> SOUND BLASTER LIVE - sound cards are great, but REAL resource hogs......... and can take a 20% CPU load all by themselves.......... it's possible something is amiss with your sound card.

For more free IRQ's you might also disable the unused SERIAL PORTS in your BIOS. That will free up 2 IRQ's, ONE of which is a good one for a modem, which means that it leaves an IRQ for the Sound Card, which then won't conflict with the Video card.. (which likes IRQ 11).

Heat? Maybe? just a thought.
Have you a hardware monitor installed? Vote if you found this post helpful please!!

Yeah...the SB-Live stuff eats resources as like they'd be nothing...
only the registry entries of the SB-Live that a friend has are at 4 MB size....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back