Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

100% CPU usage bad on a laptop for about 4 hours?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuaveRick

Programmer
Apr 12, 2004
CA
Hi there,

I have a compaq r3000 series laptop and would like to know if I have the cpu usage at 100% for 4 hours if that's going to damage the cpu at all. I ask because I'd like to convert some divx to dvd and that takes 100% cpu usage for about 4 - 5 hours. I don't want to burn out my $1600 laptop. I wouldn't think that it would be bad for it, the fan speed will increase to cool it so everything should be fine. Just as long as I don't leave it at 100% for hours and hours like 8+ hours right?

That leads to another question, do CPU wear out (get slower with time)?

Thanks!

Hi SuaveRick,

To your first question: Based on my own experience, I would say you should have no problems. I've used an old Fujitsu Siemens laptop to run my image processing code (in Matlab) overnight... several occasions of the thing operating at 100% for up to 16 hours at a time. No problems. As long as your laptop's cooling fan works (you can hear it), you should be fine.

To your second question: I doubt that a CPU will "get slower" with time. Digital circuits don't fail that way. They can fail in others - burn out, start giving weird system behaviors. But that's not limited to CPUs... same goes for hard drives, PC cards, displays, etc.

Cheers!
--Michael

Hi Michael,

Thanks very much for the info, it confirms what I thought so that's fine.

Thanks again, have a good one.

Rick

No, it's not necessarily bad. Think of it like an engine in a car. The more stop & go driving you do (increases engine wear), the shorter your engine/parts life will be.

The same kind of concept is true for just about anything mechanical or electronic. I wouldn't worry about it too much. For every rip you do, you easily get that much worth out of your CPU. So if it does die early, it can always be replaced and be worth it!

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back