Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

10 worst phrases to use at office 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I re-read to make sure I wasn't also glossing over potential meanings for the Drill Down phrase - I considered that maybe the author wasn't saying she thought it meant to pursue a problem with vigor but that it was often used that way incorrectly by others. However she included it in the section for overused phrases:
The next three were included because of their cliché factor. Like "thinking outside the box" and "blue-sky thinking," their overuse means they no longer catch our attention.
So that means to me she wasn't lamenting the phrase being used incorrectly - just that it is overused.

That's how I see it anyway.

:)

Cool Hand Luke said:
"Dyin'? Boy, He can have this little life any time He wants to. Do Ya hear that? Are ya hearin' it? Come on. You're welcome to it, Ol' Timer. Let me know You're up there. Come on. Love me, hate me, kill me, anything. Just let me know it... I'm just standin' in the rain talkin' to myself."

Regarding number 4, "It's not rocket science!":

I have a friend who works at NASA and he has told me that this phrase is a running joke there. "Oh come on, this isn't rocket science folks! Oh wait, yes it is! Carry on!"

I used to rock and roll every night and party every day. Then it was every other day. Now I'm lucky if I can find 30 minutes a week in which to get funky. - Homer Simpson

Arrrr, mateys! Ye needs ta be preparin' yerselves fer Talk Like a Pirate Day!

lol! That reminds me I have a friend who works on an off-shore oil-rig - I'll ask him how they use "Drill down".

Cool Hand Luke said:
"Dyin'? Boy, He can have this little life any time He wants to. Do Ya hear that? Are ya hearin' it? Come on. You're welcome to it, Ol' Timer. Let me know You're up there. Come on. Love me, hate me, kill me, anything. Just let me know it... I'm just standin' in the rain talkin' to myself."

Regarding number 4, "It's not rocket science!"

I find this phrase is invariably used by people who think a not-simple task that they won't have to personally do (and have no idea exactly what is involved) is easy.

No it won't take just five minutes to add that column to the report with data that we currently aren't collecting even if it isn't rocket science. There are, in fact, tasks that are not rocket science which take time to do.

"NOTHING is more important in a database than integrity." ESquared

It seems to me that, given the current advancements of technology, rocket science is really just a matter of going to school for it. It's not particularly difficult.

We should replace the statement with one that is more meaningful, like "Come on folks, this isn't NP-hard!"

Tao Te Ching Discussions : Chapter 9 (includes links to previous chapters)
What is the nature of conflict?

To quote Mr. Burns, a fictional character and antagonist in the animated television series The Simpsons
Dammit Smithers, this isn't rocket science... it's brain surgery! ...

Have fun.

---- Andy

==> Come on folks, this isn't NP-hard
Computational complexity is intuitively obvious.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Polynomial time flies when we're having fun.

waaaaaay over my head. I'm just regurgitating words I saw in a computational complexity article on wiki.

Cool Hand Luke said:

As far as "Drill Down", I haven't heard it used in normal conversation, but I have heard it used legitimately when dealing with accounting software.

"Clicking on the total allows you to drill-down to the original invoices"... etc.

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

>I agree with Lee

The article never mentioned 'more' in relation to unique (and it took my challenge for Lee to clarify what they actually meant). And in the context of 'most' the article made it very clear, when it said that a netter alternative might be "Our store is filled with unique items", exactly what interpretatiion it was talking about.

StrongM and Lee, this got to be the MOST UNIQUE discursive discussion (philosophically speaking) in FORUM parlance, in quite a long time, or am being too discursive [small](rambling)[/small]...

but I agree, with you both...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

What?! I wasn't cursin'!

:p

Cool Hand Luke said:

My stock answer to the "Urgent" is:

Ok I'll add it to the pile of other urgents, which are buried somewhere under the mountain of criticals.

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

My latest teeth-gnasher, because it's used WAY too much here, is:

DoofusAtTheOffice said:
From a [insert business term here] perspective,...

WTF is this, art class?

Phil H.
Some Bank
-----------
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Lack of proper planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part

DonBott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back