Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

10 worst phrases to use at office 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

2ffat

Programmer
Oct 23, 1998
US
According to CNN, here are the ten worst phrases to use at the office.

Can you think of any others?

How about the ten worst phrases for tech?

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

On number 4, "It's not rocket science", I usually put it this way for humorous effect...

It's not rocket surgery!"

Ok, maybe you had to be there. [bigsmile]

Get all your ducks in a row would have to appear in my list.

Annihilannic.

Besides the ubiquitous Think outside the box!, the one that drives me the craziest is Reach out to... rather than simply Contact....

I usually see it in the user entered out of office responses in emails.

I'll be out of the office from ... through ... with little / no / sporadic access to email. If this is an issue with the xyz system, please reach out to ... in my absence.
[banghead]

Greg
People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use. Kierkegaard

An oldie but a baddie: "Bottom-line it for me."

[hairpull]

Hi,
How about:

'Think of ways to incentivise the staff'

I truly hate the verbing of nouns!
( and the making up of words like verbing [smile] )

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

A colleague and I used to wait until someone used such a comment (or any kind of 'buzz-word') in the office, and then make eye-contact and one of us would tap or scratch one elbow with the other hand.

It was our personal sign for
'Bum? Hmmm... Is this one my Bum?.... If so... Where is my elbow?'

Fee

"The cure for anything is salt water – sweat, tears, or the sea." Isak Dinesen

I, personally, don't have a problem with saying "I, personally, ...". It adds an extra "this is just the way I to choose to do something, but I'm not necessarily saying that you should do it the same way" to the subsequent thought. Personally, I say it in that order... quite often I think. :)

Annihilannic.

[red]"That's not my job."[/red]

'Nuff said.

GS

[Green]******^*******
[small]I[/small] [small]Hate[/small] [♥] [small]Ambiguity.[/small][/green]

Jim Brown,
Tech writer and training consultant,
Johannesburg,
South Africa.
My time is GMT+2

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and

We had a "staff communication meeting" last week when we were told that steps have been take to "de-risk" our book.[3eyes]

Nobody I know uses "Drill Down" to mean they are working diligently on something. But we use it all the time to mean we are getting to the core of an issue.

And why can't a store have more unique items than another store?

I think the author missed the points.

Cool Hand Luke said:
"Dyin'? Boy, He can have this little life any time He wants to. Do Ya hear that? Are ya hearin' it? Come on. You're welcome to it, Ol' Timer. Let me know You're up there. Come on. Love me, hate me, kill me, anything. Just let me know it... I'm just standin' in the rain talkin' to myself."

>I think the author missed the points.

I hope you are trolling rather than being serious ...

My favs -
"In all honesty...."
"quite honestly"
"I will be quite honest"
"all things being equal"

Well I'm being as serious as can be on an internet message board (which should never be taken too seriously) so please explain to me where I am wrong:
"6. Drill down: This is too often used to denote the vigor with which a person or team will be pursuing an objective. "Yes, Bob and I are really going to drill down on that."
The phrase doesn't denote vigor at all - it means (to me and to everyone I know in real life) that a problem has many layers and we need to drill down to the root or core of the problem to begin fixing it.

8. Quite unique (and its compatriots "very unique," "really unique" and "most unique"): Despite the fact that things that are unique can't be qualified, I see this all the time. "Our store has the most unique items." Um ... no. You can, however, say, "Our store is filled with unique items." I have no trouble with that.

I have no problem with the unbolded parts but I feel the author completely forgot or simply glossed over other potential meanings for the phrase.

I come to this forum to learn so I welcome the opportunity to be taught.

Cool Hand Luke said:
"Dyin'? Boy, He can have this little life any time He wants to. Do Ya hear that? Are ya hearin' it? Come on. You're welcome to it, Ol' Timer. Let me know You're up there. Come on. Love me, hate me, kill me, anything. Just let me know it... I'm just standin' in the rain talkin' to myself."

I agree with Lee, at least with respect to the comparative and superlative uses of more and most.

If store A has 10 unique items and store B has 8 unique items, then store A has more unique items than store B. Further, if store C has 12 unique items, then store C has the most unique items between the three stores.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Regarding "most unique", I think the author just chose a really poor example to make her point.

If the sentence "Our store has the most unique items" is interpreted as Lee/CC are interpreting it (which is how I also interpreted it at first), as in "our store has many unique items... more so than any other store", then the usage of unique is correct.

However, I think the author's intended interpretation was "The items in our store are more unique than the items on anyone else's store". No... your items are either unique or they are not...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back