Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

10/half in; 100/full out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esmerelda

Technical User
Jun 20, 2002
US
From Catalyst 10/Full connection to a Netgear 10/100 LAN non-programmable switch. Can I get 100/Full connections out of the Netgear? The Netgear isn't programmable, but the equipment on the "other end of the ethernet cable" can be set for 100/Full.

..........Or, do I have to change the speed on the Catalyst link?

even the current config will be fine
the fact that one link is 10mb and one is 100 doesn't matter except that the 100mb links will have to slow to 10mb if you need to access that portion of your network..
im not exactly sure what your requirement here is... but if it is just to accomodate a couple servers that are hard set to 100full then your fine... if you have to guarantee 100mb of throughput all through your network then your out of luck for the ports that your using like a trunk to get to the rest of your lan since the catalyst is only 10mb.

say your netgear is a 8 port

port 1 --> catalyst = 10mb full
port 2 --> server1 = 100mb full
port 3 --> clientA = 10mb half
port 4 --> clientB = 100mb Half
port 5 --> server2 = 10mb full
port 6 --> clientC = 100mb full

etc

doesn't matter it will all work still.. only thing is if a 100mb link needs to communicate to a client/server connected on a 10mb link you obviosuly will be limited to 10mb of bandwidth there...

do you know what i mean? and am i addressing your question?

I think so. But, taking just one end element....
let's say a voice announcement card that needs to be hard-coded to 100M/full. If it was plugged directly into the Catalyst, the Catalyst port could be hard-coded and the voice announcement card could be hard-coded (both to 100M/full), and there would be no issues.......buuuuut, if there was a Netgear in the middle, and the link between the Catalyst and the Netgear was 10M/half, then it would probably look to the voice announcement card as though it was plugged into a 10M/half port? Or would it look as if it was plugged into an autosensing port (the Netgear port)?

I believe that both of these two scenarios would not satisfy the original intent of hard-coded 100M/full at both ends. Also, I'm thinking that I should move my 10M/half elements to their own Netgear on a 10M/half connection. To accomplish this, I could order a 100M/full port out of the Catalyst, and then migrate the 100M/full network elements over one at a time.......

Again, I hate to rain on the parade, but if the end device is HARD CODED to 100/full, it will NOT achieve useful throughput with any Auto-negotiated equipment on the same wire. (virtually all non-managed switch are auto-negotiated)

VoIP over network gear that does not honor QOS, is not a long term career choice either.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

No, you're not raining on my parade. I'm trying to make a case to get rid of those Netgear switches, and, based on all of the posts in this thread, I think that's the only solution.

Regarding your VoIP/QOS comment.....yes, I know. This is just something to play with for now, and not meant for "long term".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back