Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

1-x mobile sip

Status
Not open for further replies.

wpetilli

Technical User
May 17, 2011
US
I have a high level how the one-x mobile sip app works.. I know you need to register to a ASM via an SBC and using a WiFi will save cellular minutes, but wouldn't it still use data, which is actually just as costly? There are some execs that think our roaming charges etc.. are just going to disappear and I'm trying to articulate what will actually happen with this product. Is there a one or 2 liner on the skinny of this product?

Yes, the SIP client will register do the Session Manager via two routes:

1 - if you are off the enterprise WIFI, then the client will register through the SBC to SM. This connection could be achieved via the data leg of the cellular phone, or via any WIFI network the cellular device is connected to. In the case of cellular data, then data will be utilised for all call signalling and voice traffic (which differs from one x mobile non sip - where the signalling component traverses data, but voice is carried via trunks)

2 - the other way is using enterprise wifi - which like any other wifi - will not incur any cellular data charges. This can also be achieved by bypassing the SBC and going straight to SM as its internal to your enterprise, but this requires network config in terms of DNS routing.

The main thing to remember is - You will only incur cellular data charges when connecting via the cellular data network. The application allows you to allow or deny this, so you can stipulate that WIFI access is the only method, thus eliminating these charges.

Thanks for that, much appreciated. I thought in any WIFI case the traveling user would be using the office trunks for their calls, simulating like they are at their desk and not using the cell itself.

ok - bit of confusion...

the mention of trunks was to try and show how different the two offerings of one-x mobile are.

the SIP version will only use a trunk if the user makes a call outside of the PBX. If they simply call another user, or voicemail, then no trunks, but still all data for voice and signalling will go over either the cellular data of wifi - which ever is being used.

in the case of no sip - the trunks are always used regardless of the number dialed, as the PBX needs to call you on your cell phone to setup the call.

in this case only signalling data is sent via cellular or wifi - all voice traffic is carried by the cellular network to your cell phone/

thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back