Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

1 user, 1 Workingforlder and multiple pc's 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soep

Programmer
Sep 14, 2001
NL
I'm working with VSS6.0 and I have my workingfolder on a network share. But when i'm changing from workstation, my working folder isn't there anymore.

so the workingfolder in VSS is linked to the computer its made on.

Does anyone knows if its possible to link a working folder with only a username and not a computer?

TIA Frank.

I allready have part 1 of my problem solved.
I don't know if someone has the smae problem, but when i manually change the workingfolder i can link a workingfolder to an user. like this.
change this:

[$/Project1]
Dir (MyPC) = C:\Dev

to this:

[$/Project1]
Dir = C:\Dev

but now I want to automate it, why oh why is SS setting my PC name in the path?!?! that's my problem now.

Frank

You might be able to set something like this in your SS.INI:

Code:
[ignore][$/]
Dir = \\Server\Source[/ignore]

Edit the rest of the SS.INI and remove any other working folder settings. As a matter of practice, don't set working folders for any projects or subprojects, and just use the defaults that SourceSafe chooses (folder names match project names, and folder structure matches project structure). This should keep SourceSafe from modifying your settings, and including the machine name.

As a side comment, when you put your working folder on a network share, and access that share from multiple machines, you are defeating some of the purpose behind SourceSafe. SourceSafe is meant to be used as a repository for your source code, both your work-in-progress copies and archives of previous versions.

I could remove the (machine) in the dir line, but my second PC just adds the line with its own machine name. It does not want to use the general form without the machine name.

I do not understand the root folder path. The root folder is not a fysical location on the server or the harddisk. It is a grouping of all the projects in sourcesafe. So how could someone set a root path for projects that do not have a common root location on the network or harddisk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back