Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

1 Server 2 NICS - DSL LAN WAN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

audiopimp

MIS
Jun 9, 2002
CA
Hi. I'll try and be breif but no promises. I'm hoping someone here will be able to guide me in the right direction or reference of some kind.
The Given :- 1 Office - 1 Server (winNT SP6a) - 4 manager PC stations (Win 982ndE) - 5 Workstations PC (win 98 2ndE)- 1 16 port 10/100 switch - 1 DSL line Modem - : the server is to be used by all PC's, its running a Dialer and writes and reads into a master DB (Most simply put).
The Problem :- I only want the manger stations to have access to the Internet WAN, the other 5 workstations I do not want them to be able to get onto the Internet, only our small LAN while all this protectiing my server from the WAN.
Some Ideas - A buddy of mine told me i can easily do this by installing 2 NICS on my server. One to handle the WAN and the other the LAN. But after this I am lost. Is there a software I need to do this? Am I going to have to install DHCP on the 4 manager stations and static IP's on the 5 other workstations?
I know im almost there but can someone please help me out here? Any good web sites I can check out if its too long to explain.
PS> I did manage to do pretty much what I wanted with the help of a router. The Linksys Router software allows me to block certain IP's ect. Please note: I'd like to do it without the router as described above. Is it possible from the information I gave you'all?
Regards, Mark - Steve

Do static IPs for the guys you don't want to get out. Set a correct IP, and subnet mask. Do not put a correct default gateway. Their NICs won't know where to go.

Maybe change the def gateway to a rarely used IP like 192.168.1.123 that way the peons are less likely to guess....or would at least take 253 tries. then they could have the wrong default gateway of 192.168.1.1.

Easy to get around with a little knowledge, but easy to setup.

Thanks dreddog, so get the geist of what you mean, let me know if I understand so far.

> DSL Modem's cat5 into one NIC. From the second NIC into the switch where all the other PC's connect into? AFter that its simply a matter of setting/configuring the NIC's and each PC for some to use DHCP and the others as static. ?
Am I getting there? I also suppose its a matter of actually trying it; which is what I will be doing tommorrow I'm just trying to settle any problems before hand.
>>See an other question I have is, see now the way I have it set up, the router connects my modem to the ISP via its software. what will connect me once i do this setup? You know; Domain name, account, Pri/sec DNS and password? Is it separate application or is it the software that my ISP provided?
Thanks for all you comments!

-Steve

You should be running a Firewall on your server if its connected to the Internet in any way.

With most Firewalls you can do packet filtering. You can tell the filtering not to allow outgoing from your workstations to stop them browsing the web.
New Zealand, a great place to visit.

steve-
I am not sure why you want to get rid of the router to use a PC as a router, but, yeah, you got it.

And, your router logs in to DSL? Has special software? Sounds like PPPoE to me.... Yes, there is software for windows (EnterNet & others) that does PPPoE, but I've never used it on a PC acting as a router.

You will also have to use route command to setup the routes in the PC. This happens automagically when you use something like a LinkSys router.

Sounds like now you are setup as follows:

DSL MOdem--Router--Switch--Server & PCs.

That is ideal... I don't know why you would want to change it.

check out winproxy (it's pretty good proxy software that provides a firewall, antivirus, packet filtering etc.
you can also specify which users to grant internet access to.
less confusing and less time consuming than 2 nics.

You should buy an ADSL router with Firewall. That way you can filter the packets from any particular IP.

You will not need any PPPoe software on the clients as it runs on the ADSL router. I have one at home.

You just hang your switch of the router. Or you can even buy ADSL routers with 4 ports for your LAN.

All of these experts and nobody suggested the simple bits... why not use system policy editor?

sure it'll require a bit of reading and experimenting... but you can build it to your specifications...

there's an o'reilly book that's really good... if you're in texas, look me up and I'll be glad to make it a weekend project for a good reference and a couple pizzas or three... Setnaffa is an MCSE-4.0 (working on W2K) with a few other certs, too...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back