Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

1 LAN card not starting

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdeane

IS-IT--Management
Sep 21, 2001
GB
I have recently inherited a HP-UX from another Company, this box uses 2 network cards, 1 for main network and the other for the test network controlled by the HP-UX box.

Due to a user who was did not have premissions to shut down the box decided instead to power it off. Now when it reboots there are two fail messages during boot, both are to do with the LAN config. When it boots to the graphical login screen I am unable to login as root, it will go through the process and give a blank screen where upon pressing the space bar it will return to the login screen. This is what happens when I use any login name.

I can still telnet on using the other netowrk card and have tried to use SAM to setup lan0 which currently is displaying 0.0.0.0 as its ip address, but I encounter an ifconfig error unable to assign requested address.

Ehen I try to save the IP address a message is displayed stating that I am using BIND and that the hosts file will not be able to update it.

The lan1 card displays the correct IP.

What can I do to bring the lan0 card up.

Thanks

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

First of all, you have to check your /etc/hosts file.
There you must have the IP add (of your main interface) and the name of your server. That will solve your login problem for CDE.

Then the rest of the config must be done in /etc/rc.config.d/netconf.

If you perform a "lanscan" at the prompt you will have the status of the your two cards with their names (lan0 & lan1).

You must find the parameters for these two cards in the netconf file. If not then correct them and reboot.

If you have still problem with one interface after that try : ifconfig lan1 down
then ifconfig lan1 up

good luck

[pipe]

JM

Hi Jonathan,
You can't logon through CDE is because name resolv problem.

First of all you are using dns so disable it.
how?
1.Rename /etc/resolv.conf file if any.
2.edit /etc/nsswitch.conf file and put
hosts files dns
3. edit your /etc/hosts file and put proper entry.
4. nslookup to this system should show you this sytem name and ip that you have in hosts file.

#ifconfig lan0 and ifconfig lan1 should says it is up. if not then as ebone says use ifconfig lan1 up.

Patel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back