Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

1 GB? or 2 512 MB stick O' RAM 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 21, 2002
US
I want to upgrade my PC to a gig of ram. I currently have 1 512 in an Intel 845 mobo. I want performance and price is not the issue. Is it faster to have 1, 1 GB PC2700 stick, or to have 2, 512 PC2700 sticks? Please let me know your opinions. Thanks!

well..... i think you got me there :) but what can i do? i just love to have the fastest computer on the block

aye, some ppl like fast cars, some like fast computers. If it's what you get your kicks from who cares :)

From a simple programming standpoint, any game that requires a half gig minimum, at this time, is poorly written. I don't play everquest or any of the huge rpg's, but you're not seeing the whole world at any given time, there's no reason such a huge chunk of it should be loaded into memory. If it's not world details taking it all up, I'm bloody lost on what else could.

The only time I've needed such obscene amounts of ram is with Zao's leaky opengl program and converting images way too big to be displayed (damn things need to be completely uncompressed to convert).

I suppose this is way off topic for the thread, maybe even forum. Is there a better place to hold such a conversation? ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...but I'm just a C man trying to see the light

Grenage,

Can you point me to the minimum specs of 512MB that you are referring to? After searching, I've only seen minimum requirements of 32, 64 and 128MB for Everquest - which depend on the version or expansion pack.

Many gaming sites highly recommend 256MB. Still, I haven't seen any indications that it will use more than 512MB of RAM.

I agree with icrf. I think I'll stick with CPU speed and video card type as the two most important factors that affect gaming quality once you have at least 256MB of RAM. If a game needs more, it's just not using it efficiently...
~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

512 mb is enough, then go for the fastest graphics card, TI4600 128mb for games and all round stuff, if its for CAD go for the Matrox Parhelia, you can also use a utility so if you are using XP, the WHOLE os loads to memory!

Chris

If you want to add ram check to see how much ram the motherboard will support. if it limits at 1GB the add another 512. If the limit is higher then go to 1GB along with the 512.
That way if it is limited to 1GB then you arent left with a stick of 512 doing nothing.

Rentvillas!

If you want great perfomance of RAM in your computer and 'price is not the issue', buy a new mobo based on i850 chipset together with the 1 Gig of RDRAM memory.
[thumbsup]

Aye, 512MB with the Shadows of Luclin addon. I had to upgrade to 512 simply because it ran like a dog.

You could of course run at a lower level by turning all the graphics options down and half the models up - but then whats the point.

If you really want to rock(Now-not what's going to be hot in a couple of months) dump the 845 and the DDR and get a 850 board that supports 16/32 bit RDRAM. I'm running the Asus 533-C right now with 4 256MB sticks of PC-1066. It's fast. Course in order to take advantage of these goodies your gonna have to step up to the plate and get a 533FSB P4 if you REALLY want to rock.I'm picking up a 2.8 next week but I have a 2.26 that runs rock solid at 2.41 right now. If you want to be the lead dog you don't pee like a puppy.

Wolf

Well im liking my 845 right now seeing that the new 433 MHz DDR matches the 1066 RDRAM speed. Only wish i had more slots.... Etherwolf, my 845 is 533 FSB, i have a p4 2.53, just waiting for the 3 GHz to come out before i buy another proc. Go to to see the benches of this new DDR stick. Pretty sweet :)

Rentvillas!

When the PIV 3GHz will come out, it will have high power consumption and not compatible with current motherboards I think. It's first.

Second - if your mobo supports PC2700 memory today, why do you think it will support the new DDR433 tomorrow? For the present there is no standard for DDR400 and what about DDR433? And what motherboard supports it?

For new processor and new memory the new motherboard is required.

DDR 400 Can be somewhat unstable on some motherboards. That is why the manufacturers of newer motherboards that are designed to use it recommend certain brands of DDR RAM only. The good news is some motherboard makers have certified some DDR400 manufacturers. The bad news is the RAM may run hot or at a lower speed, not justifying the more expensive RAM on certain motherboards.

There is at least one company that has a working design for DDR2 QUAD PUMPED RAM. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Tyrant, so you dont think my mobo can handle 3GHz? Its an Intel chipset, and im using the 12v. power also. Even if i got a fatter PSU you dont think it would work? Are they going to be moving away from the 478 pin standard? As for the memory I've read it is compatable in most mobo's. Except some AMD ones. I also got 8 fans in my case. Im not to worried about heat :) Thanks for the input!

To be honest, DDR400 hardly surpasses DDR333 in the benchmarks I've seen. From the article I read, it appears that DDR400 is causing many mobo vendors to have problems integrating it.

DDR433?? I think DDR is seeing the end of the line on the horizon. Latency is the #1 issue with DDR as you try and increase the memory clock. Right now, it is near impossible to find DDR400 with true CL2 latency, and fairly hard to find DDR333 CL2. It appears that 2.5 will be the standard for the 400 series. What's next? 3.0? 3.5? That's just unacceptable.

Besides, by the time DDR-II 433 comes out, RDRAM PC1200 will already be available with PC1600 DIMMs on the way. 433 has a tough game of "catch up" ahead of it.

RDRAM will eventually be the user's choice when CPU speeds get above 3GHz, or until a "serial" memory architecture comes about. The current DDR structure will be too much of a bottleneck.
~cdogg

- A. Einstein

Rentvillas, I have the mobo based on i845 too, and ATX v.2.03 PSU with ATX12v too, and what? Do you really think if the mobo uses additional ATX12V connector it will be able to support any future processors without limits? As system PSU, computer also have the mobo's own power converter for powering the CPU. What loading limit for it? Your mobo is designed when PIV 3GHz is not existing. New Intel 3GHz processor, of course, will be in FCPGA478 package but what energy it will demand at this frequency and what power voltage will be necessary for it? What you will do if the new CPU will demand, for example, 1 V voltage, and your mobo can give not below, than, for example 1.5? And what you will do if the new processor will demand extra power your mobo's converter can't support? I'm sure - install though 88 fans, the converter can burn down from an elementary overload.

I believe and I hope, what not all so is tragic, but such it is possible, therefore I think unreasonable to expect on similar upgrade.

And about memory I agree with cdogg above. RDRAM has more far the future, than SDRAM. As far as I know, some manufacturers refuse support DDR400 in the mobo's, and DDR433 it is even more difficult in this plan.

Thanks for the help tyrant. I really didnt think that an upgrade of less then 500 MHz would require a new mobo. But you have some very good points. Time will tell. As for RDRAM and DDR Intel is going to begin producing DDR2 SDRAM. While DDR2 may phaze out like you say it will not be any time in the near future. And as long as the benchmarks keep up with the RD id rather go w/ a cheaper but just as fast solution.

All this talk about ram size and speed is fascinating,but if you really want to see improvement in the overall system speed, invest in some scsi hard drives and controler. hard drives and the video card are more of a bottleneck in overall speed than the memory, as long as you have a reasonable amount. But 1 gig memory sounds cool so I say go for it! :)

Yeah, it's all a matter of opinion. I agree that the performance difference between DDR333 and PC1066 is marginal. Personally I wouldn't spend the extra $$ for RDRAM - which is hardly worth the money. However for the record, PC1066 RDRAM is faster than DDR333 and DDR400 in most benchmarks.

Whateva floats ya boat... %-)
~cdogg

- A. Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back