Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

1 Drive not visible in Netbackup 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

enormousson

Programmer
Aug 22, 2001
GB
Hi,

We use Netbackup 4.5 in a Windows 2003 server environment.
We are connected via a fibre switch to a Storagetek L700 tape library with 6 LTO1 drives.

1 out of the 6 drives has status of DOWN-TLD always. If you try and 'up' or reset the drive the following error is given. "the drive is not ready or inoperable(277)"

We have had HP engineers on-site confirming the tape robot and its drives are functioning correctly, and have tried restarting all releavant services and rebooting the server and the tape library with no luck.

This drive has worked in the past, but was causing trouble and had been replaced (twice). It is likely that Netbackup has not been able to see it since the first replacement, though HP tape tools etc. report no problems with the drive or its configuration.

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas they would be greatly appreciated!

thanks
ivan

I assume you are using a fibre switch? If so, have you changed the settings on the switch?

Your new Tape Drive will have a different WWN.

If all this has been done, and still no joy, I remember being told that if you swap a TD, before re-running Device Configuration wizard you should delete the old tape drive that was removed otherwise you can corrupt the device database (well, in NetBackup 5.1MP1 anyway).

Now, re-run Device Configuration Wizard.

Hope this helps.

I re-ran the device configuration wizard, and the first time it failed to find the drive.
However having ran it again, it now finds 6 drives out of 6, and the drive now seems fine.

It seems it may have been a very simple problem after all - thanks very much for pointing me in the right direction!

never use the wizard to discover and configure your drives. Manually configuring the drives will allow you to see all the steps you are taking to install the drive.

As to Liverpoolfan's response, this is only true on older tape devices or librarys that do not support dynamic WWN's. The new LTO3 and all StorageTek models now support swapping a drive on the fly without WWN's changing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back