Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

1 column of names in CR exported to a paragraph?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhfmc

IS-IT--Management
Jun 18, 2003
US
I have an 8.5 CR with a single field containing names:
Joe Blow
Jane Doe
John Doe
John Q. Public
I want to print-- export that information into paragraph form with microsoft word:
Joe Blow, Jane Doe,
John Doe, John Q.
Public
How can I do that? Can I use excel in an intermediate step?

Do you mean that you want 2 names per line, or?

Here's a method to put 2 names per line:

Create a formula containing:

{PROJECT.PROJECT_NM}+", "+next({PROJECT.PROJECT_NM})

Place it in the details.

Right click the details and select X 2 next to the suppress and place:

recordnumber/2 = int(recordnumber/2)

Now it will display the current row + the next row for that field, and then it will suppress for every row that's divisible by 2, so you'll get 2 lines per detail.

If you need something else, try stating what you want specifically, terms like paragraph are a bit vague.

-k

Sorry for being so vague. My field is in Group Header 1. The data actually contains over 200 names. I would like to see these names in one long "paragraph" in mircosoft word, without any paragraph "carriage returns" embedded, so that the number of names per line would be variable. Ideally, no first, middle or last name would be split within the word between 2 lines; but it would be fine to have first name at the end of a line, then middle and last name at the beginning of the next line. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back