Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

1/2 of my hard drive is missing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Systemcrasher

Technical User
Jul 11, 2000
US
I have an AMD700, FIC motherboard,Voodoo, 128MB RAM, 5G Hard Drive. After having the 700 and FIC installed I noticed that WIN98 is only showing 1/2 of my hard drive,about 2.3G. The hard drive was recently re-formatted and WIN98 re-installed. Any ideas?

are you sure that you partitioned the entire drive? more details needed. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>

Run &quot;fdisk&quot; on Ur system and check out what it is showing..U might not have created a filesystem for the remaining portion of the disk..if thats the case make it an extended partition using fdisk and then format it using windows and U have Ur D:<br><br>thanks<br>amit <p> amit<br><a href=mailto: crazy_indian@mailcity.com> crazy_indian@mailcity.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>to bug is human to debug devine

or you could get Partition Magic 5, and resize your partition, without needed to create a new, nor formating your own. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>

It sounds like when the drive was installed you have set the partition to only half of the available space.<br><br>If you have or can acquire a copy of Partition Magic 5 you can resize the partition to the full available space. Or to create a second drive.<br><br>You will only get about 4.8Gb if it is a true 5Gb. A little more if it is a 5.??? whatever. This is because of the Primary and Secondary FAT. <br><br>One of the better things I have found, is to split the drive into 2 halves. Keep the boot for Applications and the second for Games and other storage. Plus place the swap file for Windows on the D: to save the space on C:.<br><br>You can also do this in PM5 without damaging or losing any resident data.<br><br>Hope this is some help.<br><br> <p>Steven Walker<br><a href=mailto:strider@paradise.net.nz>strider@paradise.net.nz</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Brainbench MVP Computer Technician

Thank you all for your help. Unfortunately the whole PC is going to have to be put in the shop. I have about 20 other problems now....

i think u run fdisk and make only primary partition and then u install win98 that way this is showing ok go to dos run fdisk then create logic partition becaseu still u don't creation logic partiction then format this partition

If you have Partition Magic, it should still show the entire drive space, even if it's not formatted to hold a file system, right? <p>Narayanan Srinivasan<br><a href=mailto:coolie91@hotmail.com>coolie91@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Brothers and Sisters from India, if you have any recent news regarding F-1 to H-1B visa transfer, please e-mail me. Thanks.

Partition Magic will, simarik, but the operating system (Windows) won't, until you put a Windows-compatible file system on it.

If your hardrive somewhat is very fragmented be sure to run scandisk and defrag on it.<br>Incorrect size of discs is common on fat and fat32.<br>Doesn´t hurt to run it in either case. <p>Nostradamus<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back