Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

0x80070006 when accessing the MS update site

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisosullivan1

IS-IT--Management
Aug 4, 2004
CA
Hi,
When I go to the windows update site and click on update now, I get a 0x80070006 error. What can this be?

i does not work. When I click on custom or express, I get this:
Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the requested page. You may find the following resources helpful in resolving the problem
[Error number: 0x8024402C]
any idea?

Are you using IE or another browser? Only IE will work with MS Updates.

James P. Cottingham
-----------------------------------------
[sup]To determine how long it will take to write and debug a program, take your best estimate, multiply that by two, add one, and convert to the next higher units.[/sup]

Yet again MS change things for the better!!!! I've had problems downloading the software to acess the new update site. The trouble is things go wrong but they don't give you enough info to sus out what the problem is. That is unless you speak microsoft!!!!!!!

IanCorst,

What is the error message you receive?

Try:

. Start by following the XP section of this KB article:
. Open Internet Explorer, on the Tools menu, click Internet Options, and then click the Security tab.
Click Trusted sites, and then click Default Level. (This should be Low, these are sites you trust!)
Now click the Sites button.
Clear the check box "Require server verification (https:) for all sites in this zone."
Type the following URL's EXACTLY as follows:

(Note: The https is correct)
*.akamai.net (Note: Yes this really is correct!)

Type each one then, click Add, and repeat until they all show in the bottom box. Now click OK, and then click Apply.

Test again. Please let us know how the issue sorts for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back