Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

0x7b boot difficulties

Status
Not open for further replies.

johncool888

Programmer
Mar 2, 2002
US
Whenever I boot my machine, it gives me a 0x0000007b stop error after completing the POST. I just installed a new motherboard and processor: Abit KD7A & AMD Athlon XP 2500, and it didnt do this before I installed them. Can anyone help?

That stop error indicates that there's either an inaccessible boot device, or a problem with another hardware device.

Is there a floppy in the FD?
Did you clear CMOS with a MB jumper?
Is the HD properly configured in BIOS?
Did you install the MB drivers?
Did you start up with only the power supply, MB, CPU, video card, and HD installed?

If those did not work, then you may have to reformat the HD, and reinstall Windows, all drivers, and all applications, updates, etc.(Which is recommended when a new MB is installed).

Are you trying to use an old existing disc with "Hardware specific" info..without wiping and re-installing OS..?
Shame on you [bigsmile]
Your HDD is configured for "OLD" hardware....no good....
Take your disc and either
1)Re-install Old mobo and CPU and Backup important files..
2)Hook your disc as slave to another machine to get your data off of it.......

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions....I try very hard to impart correct info at all times.

You "might" be able to use the bootcfg command to let the OS reconfigure....

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions....I try very hard to impart correct info at all times.

Refer to this thread:

thread602-695589

I had the same exact problem with my 2000 system and tried everything Microsoft recommended without any success.

I fixed it by doing a "repair" install of XP, but now the system freezes randomly in Windows, and it doesnt seem to have a pattern.

What are the CPU and system temperatures, what other components are installed, and what is your power supply's watt capacity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back