Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

0189 invalid RFID

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankieTech

Technical User
Aug 17, 2004
CH
My thinkpad is giving me a 0189 error which says I should replace the system board. System board replacement seems a bit extreme and google found a post on this forum from "ukgadget" who says it can be fixed with MS RIS... Is this true will reinstalling from RIS actually flash the eeprom with a new UUID? Any help much appreciated... if you are out there ukgadget please talk to me, this one is killing me.

Still broken... update:
I installed Windows Remote Insllation Server (took a long time) got my thinkpad to boot from the network to the RIS and re-installed OS (which worked ok - wow)! But BIOS UUID remains unchanged ffffff-fff (thought it would) and 0189 boot error is still there. Apart from this message laptop works perfectly, I can't beleive I have to swap the motherboard to fix this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back