Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

'0' not a float or double

Status
Not open for further replies.

ielo

Programmer
Jan 22, 2004
CA
I'm sorry if this sounds totaly amateurish (and I guess easy to answer), but can't '0' be considered as a float or double? I'm parsing input lines to make sure all tokens are valid floats (e.g. 0.00001e+002). I do this by checking the returned value of 'atof' for each scanned token 'string'. If atof returns anything but 0, it's valid. However, in some cases values are zero (i.e. 0.00000e+000); if I use 'atof', I'll get '0'. Is there no way of distinguishing '0' from gibberish (e.g. 0.00????e+000)?

This isn't critical, as I can always skip this input checking procedure by later setting to '0' any token string that atof doesn't recognize as a float ... but I'd like to know all the same. The other way would be to mimick something like atof which would admit '0' as being valid.

Thanks in advance

Code:
       double strtod(const char *nptr, char **endptr);
       float strtof(const char *nptr, char **endptr);
       long double strtold(const char *nptr, char **endptr);
Use these routines if you want to meaningfully validate the input.

--

Thanks Salem!

I had come across strtof in the atof man pages, but apparently hadn't tested it enough to get a better sense of its worth.

Consider the strtof prototype in Salem's response. If nptr is, let's say '0.0000e+000', then strtof returns '0' (meaning there is no conversion), yet *endptr remains NUL (ASCII "0"). On the other hand, if nptr contains garbage (e.g. 0.00?1e+00!), strtof will still return '0', yet *endptr will reference the first faulty character, in this case '?'. This difference allows to distinguish correctly-formatted '0's from otherwise invalid input.

If nptr is, let's say '0.0000e+000', then strtof returns '0' (meaning there is no conversion), yet *endptr remains NUL (ASCII "0").
Not necessarily NUL, but whatever comes immediately after the part of the string that looks like a float. That could also be whitespace or a newline depending on where and how you got the string.

Don't forget to check [tt]errno[/tt], as well.

hmmmm ... if the string contains gibberish that can't be part of a valid float, then you're right: *endptr will refer to the first non-valid character. Yet if it's '0', then *endptr seems to be NUL - always. I've tried with preceding white spaces, tabs, etc. it's still NUL. I'm guessing here that no single character in such a string (e.g. '0.0000e+000') prevents float conversion, but that '0' can't be a valid float, hence *endptr remaining at NUL. However, I wouldn't mind being proven wrong on this - would get rid of some doubt on using strtof.

But [tt]0.00?1e+00![/tt] is a valid floating point number in it's own right (as far as any conversion function is concerned).

But if you're saying that all valid numbers must have say 11 characters (0.0000e+000), then you could do something like this
Code:
char s[] = "0.0000e+000";
char *endptr;
double answer = strtod ( s, &endptr );
if ( errno == 0 && (endptr-s) == 11 ) {
  /* it's valid */
}

--

Thanks Salem, maybe I'm not getting something ... in no way am I interested in setting the maximum number of characters in a scanned string. The string could be '0.1' or '0.001e+000'. All I want to do is avoid unexpected behavior if ever some gibberish gets inserted in some way in an ASCII file. Whether I use 'atof' or 'strtof', '0.00?1e+00' will return '0', meaning no conversion occurs (and *endptr will reference the '?'). So I'm not sure what you mean by 'valid [...] (as far as any conversion function is concerned)'.

For the moment, I'm assuming that when strtof returns '0' and that *endptr equals '0', then the string should be '0'.

[tt]0.00?1e+00[/tt]

is valid in the same way that

[tt]4.69blujhaslkdd[/tt]

is valid.

It parses out as much as it can as a float, then it stops as soon as it hits an invalid character. ([tt]?[/tt] in the first case, and [tt]b[/tt] in the second case).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back