Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

💥 did you see chatbot COBOL source? And.... did you like it or was it even clean compiled?? 🤣

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crox

Programmer
Apr 3, 2000
NL
Great talks about Chatbots nowadays. It would even be able to write COBOL. 😂🤣😂🤣

I tried a lot, but even a clean compile is not possible.

What did you experience?

Thanks!

😁

Hello

I used it to convert a cobol file to csv the structure of the program was correct but it didn't compile correctly.

Thanks! Exactly! The chatbots know almost nothing of COBOL. I even see typical Javascript terminology in the proposed source. Also the columns are wrong. Even the typical student questions for COBOL are not answered. There is a very long way to go before COBOL is correctly generated by any chatbot. Strange because there is an enormous amount of training sources to be found from several COBOL compiler builders and books for learners. It seems that those examples are not used at all. Even not the manuals. Is that a good or a bad thing? We will find out perhaps even in the next months. 😂

That is true , also i think its related to the chatbot not knowing how to declare the file the correct way(how they are indexed and there keys for example) and so the file handling verbs or commands cause compiling errors . If its addressed correctly it can be very beneficial , specially because Cobol is not very popular among young programmers .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back