Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

“BAD_POLL_CALLER” XP home keeps rebooting 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzbo

Technical User
Feb 9, 2002
BM
Having a nightmare with XP,after iv had repeated blue screens,errors like “BAD_POLL_CALLER” XP home keeps rebooting,regardless of how I chose to reboot,ie safe mode,last good configuration etc, cannot even get to boot-to restore so can restore it??

So your computer starts up and then shuts off before loading anything? If you are able, you may want to check out your drivers. Apparently IomDisk.sys may cause problems with XP. If you can't even get o/s to load, have you thought of your cmos battery? Can you even get into bios? Otherwise might be of assistance or reformat and reinstall. Have you tried r-repair or inserting XP cd?

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
- Ken Olson, President, Chairman and Founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977

Only new installs I can think of were quicken 2000,and Kensington orbit mouse software & drivers,but it still was working for a day before this happened?

from now on i will install GOBack,which has helped on my other PCs

I had the same situation on my sons machine a while back.I had to to a repair install from the CD & reinstall all the service packs & updates ( but we didn't lose any proggies , saved games , pics or data ).

This may or MAY NOT help:

If you have a USB keyboard and/or mouse and you're using Selective Suspend, you can try unplugging them and plugging in PS2. If that works, and you can get back into XP try disabling power management for your USB hub: Open Device Manager. Double-click to expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers. Highlight and right-click USB Root Hub. Click Power Management. Uncheck the box “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.” Do this for all USB Root Hub. Then try your usb devices one at a time to see if they work.
Also if you have the KODAK DC290 Zoom Digital Camera connected to your computer the computer becomes unstable and shows a blue or black screen, or continuously reboots until the camera is disconnected.

Solution
This is not a firmware issue. The problem occurs with DC290 Software Versions 1, 1.1, and 1.2 when the camera name contains more than 15 characters, including spaces. Although the DC290 User's Guide states that the camera name may be up to 32 characters, the camera software will not work properly unless the camera name is 15 characters or less. This is a known problem and it will be fixed in the next version of DC290 Software.
To rename your camera, follow the steps in the DC290 User's Guide on pages 31 and 32 using 15 characters or less for the name, or follow these steps:
With the camera turned on but not connected to the computer,
1. Set the camera to Capture.
2. Press Menu.
3. Select Preferences.
4. Highlight Camera Name...and press Enter.
5. Select the character set to use.
o uppercase letters
o lowercase letters
o numbers
o symbols

6. Use the arrow keys to enter up to 15 characters for the camera name.
7. Press Done.

Right now, you occupy a point where three lines reach across the expanse of time and space and intersect only there, and that you and only you possess.

BAD_POOL_CALLER is perhaps the error?

It is a bad driver issue. Most likely suspects are video and USB devices.

I agree w/bcastner and compfhred, would have been last thing(if at all) I would try is USB power management...but then, thats why I'm HERE!

note to bcastner:
I have spent most of this afternoon going over tips, faq's and posts in this forum, if no one has said it yet, I must commend you on your devotion!

after wasting all day on this F&*()_+ thing

eventually was able reinstall vid drivers and GoBack

im sure its a video driver,so much for XP great stability!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back