Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Zyxel MFP Printserver NPS-520 under Windows 7 not installing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hjort16

IS-IT--Management
Jan 6, 2004
DK
With some disappointment I must say that Zyxel's installation procedure for Print Server NPS-520 under Win7, their driver and their control panel for NPS-520 are all pour developed. Even though I downloaded driver 1.0.2 and firmware NPS-520_100ZR3C0.rar not much did function as expected, even the dreaded Windows Blue Screen occurred. Therefore I trial-and-error'ed myself into the following procedure which works.

A. If you already installed NPS-520 and tried to attach an installed printer, all with no success, please start with removing both:
- Use NPS-520's installation-sofware again, and it will automatically start uninstallation when an NPS-520 already installed is found
- Make sure no document is in your print queue (if so cancel/delete it) and then remove any trace of your printer from Win7
- Turn-off and unplug your printer from NPS-520 (or from your computer if it is there).

B. Installation of NPS-520 and printer (both must be absent to guarantee success):
1. Install NPS-520 with Zyxell installer and note its IP-number (either a fixed or a dynamic IP-number).
2. Plug your printers USB-cable into NPS-520 and turn your printer on.
3. Install your printer's driver like this: Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Devices and Printers > Add Printer > Add network printer. Wait a while and then find your printer driver (either among those build into Win 7 or by using a separate disk).
4. Choose 'The printer I want is not listed'
5. Choose 'Add a printer using a TCP/IP port'
6. Select Device Type=TCP/IP, Hostname or IP-address= <the IP-number you took note of>, and portname = <whatever you like>. Now detecting TCP/IP-port takes quite a while.
7. Additional port info required. Set Device type to Standard>Print Server. Detecting the driver model takes a while.
8. Double-click on NPS-520 in system tray and put Autoconnect On.

No need for changing anything in your (active) windows firewall.

Please note that system tray's NPS-520 icon is red which should signify that it is inactive. Which it is not. It works nicely, also after reboot.

If you try to use 'connect' on NPS-520's control dialogue Win 7 goes into blue screen. After restarting everything is fine; printing is perfect even though the system tray icon from time to time is red, and on other occations disappers. Even then you can use the printer with no problem. So forget about these minor malfunctions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back