Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Zyxel DSL Modem- Port Forwarding

Status
Not open for further replies.

aggieingenuity

Technical User
Sep 7, 2003
US
I could really use some help on this one- I am stumped and TXU Communications doesn't support "advanced features" for their DSL service.

Here are the components I am working with:

(2) Computers- Both running Windows XP with 3M NICS
(1) Zyxel DSL Modem- Model Number: 645M
(1) Linksys 4 Port Router- Model Number: BEFSR1 ver. 2

Here is the problem:

My original intention was to get the zyxel modem up and running without the router on one local machine to make sure everything was working alright. I figured it would be best to keep it as simple as problem to avoid trouble. No problem on getting setup and on the net, but problems arose when I tried to have Port 80 and 25 forwarded to my local machine. On a previous setup (cable modem) it was simply a matter of accessing the linksys menu via a browser window and forwarding the ports. Now, with the new system, and a DSL Modem that acts a whole lot like a router (it assigns an IP to my local machine, has settings I can change, I can telnet into it, etc. etc.) I CAN NOT seem to get the ports forwarded over. I have changed everything I can think of, even followed another link I found on this site:
Still, can't seem to get it to work. What's more, after doing some of the things in the above post, I can no longer access my linksys router via the web interface.

More so than anything I really need to get port forwarding set up- without it, my "main" email is down and my web site is completely useless. After that is done, I will work on getting the router set up. But, from what I read on here, getting the router set up correctly might fix the first problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance-
Cody

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back