Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

zttools installation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattKnight

Programmer
May 10, 2002
GB
Morning All,

I'm a relative linux and asterisk newbie -so bare with me! I am "playing" with asterisk - for my own knowledge (particularily SIP - I have reasonable VOIP skills (H323) and general telecoms (PBX engineer by day)). Its a bit sad playing with a pbx in my own time ;-)

System - pentium 4 512Mb ram - so well within minimum specs! TDM 400 card with 2 FXS modules 1 FX0 module (Fxs 1-2, Fxo 3)

Linux - Slackware 12.0 - installed and working ok

Zaptel - 1.4.5.1

Asterisk - 1.4.2

I have 1 major issue - no dial tone on the fxs ports! I've configured the zaptel.conf file correctly (ztcfg -v) and the zapata.conf file (I think)

When I start * a warning - "Ignoring Signalling", and error "Unable to reconfigure channel 1"

and when I start the cli I have no zap menu!

If I use a default zapata.conf file then * (appears to) start ok, and I get a Zap menu in the CLI. When I do zap show status, I have no zap channels installed, but only the ztdummy.

first, any clues as to what is going wrong?
(i've just remade the zaptel drivers and vaped my earlier config grr)
Code:
loadzone=uk
defaultzone=uk
fxols=1-2
fxsls=3

and
Code:
[ channels ]
signalling=fxo_ks
;language=en
;context=reception
channel=>1

I've jsut noticed zaptel -s configured for loop start and zapata from kewlstart. I am sure I've tried both though!

I've googled and many responses suggest using zttools to check the card. I would, if I could get it to compile. I have downloaded (from and installed (installpkg) the newt (ver 0.5.1.6) package. I still get the same messages (missing libraries) when compiling. I've checked the /usr/lib directory and the libnewt files exist!

Am I using the correct library? Anyone else able to give some information. If I've missed some information, let me know and I'll post it!

Take Care

Matt
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

First question, are you doing this to learn Asterisk from the ground up or do you want to learn, but get something going quickly?

If the second, I would recommend downloading TrixBox from the 2.2 version or AstNow from Digium. Both will install both Op system and Asterisk. Nice GUI to get you up and running. Painless. Astnow is relatively new. TrixBox has large user group / forum. Take your pick, but unless you like the pain, , , ,

Mmmm Pain please!

Seriously, I am trying to learn for the ground up! I want to use * as a tool for learning...

However, I am still stuck...

Take Care

Matt

Yep Buster I did

I've solved my problem(s).....

For some reason, my linux build didn't have the bison package, so I installed that and re built zaptel. Then zttols started working ok!

I've struggled for a about a week with getting dialtone to the analog phone I have as a test set. I configured this, I've tried that. I sworn at it, nearly kicked it driven myself nearly insane...

Today I've gone back to square 1 and checked the card, to discover that I have the breakout lead I've made plugged in to the wrong pair of ports ( 3 & 4 instead of 1 & 2) FFS [blush]

Take Care

Matt

Oh and thank for the help

I'll probably be back in the near future!

Take Care

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back