Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ZPL II Data Matrix Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

BryanP0902

Programmer
Nov 1, 2016
US
Hello, I am trying to put a data matrix on a label and I am having trouble putting in multiple pieces of information into 1 matrix. I am able to recall one '^FN#' or 1 '^FDxxx' ,here is the line of code I need to add to:

^FO20,40 ^BXN,3,200,48,48 ^FN1 ^FS

In addition to the '^FN1' data I need to add an '^FN2' and an 'FDxxx' data field, is there any advice some could help me with?

I am not 100% clear on where you are encountering your problem.
* At the application not sending the correct data string to the Data Matrix barcode printer?
* At the printer - not supporting what you are sending?
* Or somewhere else?

And I'm not clear on what you mean by: multiple pieces of information
* How are you attempting to separate the multiple pieces?
* How many characters are in each separate piece?
* How are you attempting to 'connect' the multiple pieces of data in the data string?

On: it says:
It is recommended to limit the amount of data encoded in each symbol to 800 characters or less if possible

It sounds as though you are attempting to create your own Data Matrix barcode via your own application.

If so, my first recommendation would be to try downloading a different 2D generating application and see if that meets your needs.
One of many possibilities might be:

If that meets your needs, then you have identified that the code(s) you are sending to the Zebra printer are not correct.
If the codes are not correct, I'd recommend you contact Zebra Support
or the support from one of their distributors.

Also on Page 140 of: there are some examples of Data Matrix programming strings

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr

The issue I am having is that I need the data matrix to read two different variables and 1 constant. '^FN1' is a custom coded variable along with '^FN2'. Along with these 2 variables I need the matrix to hold one constant '^FDxxx'. I had originally typed the code as follows:

^FO20,40 ^BXN,3,200,48,48 ^FN1 ^FN2 ^FDxxx ^FS

The issue that came up was that only the ^FD field printed. I tried to rearrange the order and it seems to print the last data field on the line. I have also tried commas, double commas, and plus symbols to connect them together and none of them made a difference. I'll try to contact Zebra tech support to see if I can get any help.

Contacting Zebra Support is a good idea.

One thing you neglected to mention since the Values themselves MIGHT be influencing the results.
What do the ^FN variables contain?
Example:
^FN1 = <character string> (such as: "Now is the time for all good men")​
^FN2 = <character string> (such as: "to come to the aid of our country!)​
or
^FN1 = <something that contains Control Characters>​
^FN2 = <something that contains Control Characters>​

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr

^FN1 = custom date stamp (mmddyy)
^FN2 = sequence #

Status