Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ZONEALARM CLASHING WITH WOLFENSTEIN 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

moveit

Technical User
Sep 30, 2002
GB
In 2009 I bought the then new Wolfenstein which has multiplayer and single player modes. Both ran okay until I bought Zonealarm's Forcefield. Multiplayer worked with the software but single player did not. I was told my Zonealarm that there was a known problem with this and would be sorted soon. They said to stop Forcefield when I wanted to play the game. This did not work unless I set Forcefield not to start at start-up and then re-booted.

Resently I bought Zonealarm Security Suite 10. I have been playing the Wolfenstein on and off since 2009 with no problems as I have not use Forcefield since. Now with the updated Zonealarm I have the same problem as before. I did a search and found that Fordcefield was now built into Security Suite 10. It looks as though Zonealarm have failed to correct the problem from 2009. Am I the only one who has this trouble? Does anyone have an answer as to how to get round this?

You can give this a try although it is for alcohol not working with it: Have you talked with ZA tech support and asked for a level 2 tech? Try and get above the heads of the initial guy that answers the phone...

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

Hi DrBob

Tried to find Forcefield in services.msc as per the link you sent but it was not there. I did see it was for Zonealarm Extreme which might be why it did not show and I have Security Suite

Regarding contacting Zonealarm, I had trouble with that last year. I live in the UK and the only link I had was the chat live but it would not connect. Other Tek people tried and some could make the link while others could not although one did at first then could not later on. I have searched for both email technical support and a UK one but have not found either.

I have tried other well known and not so well known firewalls etc. in the past but found them wanting. I have used Zonealarm in one form or another for over 15 years. I know most security software have good and bad features. With Zonealarm the bad one is Forcefield.

I've abandoned ZA years ago, for the exact same problems you are facing now, in that it would not allow certain applications to function correctly that I told it to allow access...

Switched at that time to Kerio Personal Firewall, until it too started causing some of my applications to go nuts.

In the mean time I've switched to Comodo and all has been well for the last 5 years or so.

My recommendation, toss ZA and don't look back...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back