Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Zone Alarm Pro & McAfee VirusScan 7 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBossman

Technical User
Sep 19, 2002
GB
I previously used zone alarm pro (zap) without any difficulty with McAfee VirusScan 6. I have however now upgraded to VirusScan 7 and was informed by the setup routine that zap wasn't compatable and should be uninstalled before continuing. What if any are the problems (if any) that may occur, or is this just a way of them getting you to by thier security center

I think you have it in one!

Best bet, contact their tech support & ask them for reasons

I'd be intersted to know how you fare

Best Regards

PT

Can there only be 4 people in the world that use Zone Alarm and Virusscan together? I have searched all over the place for comments / answers on this problem, but nobody else seems to have an issue with it. Considering that both products are high up on the popularity stakes in their fields, one would assume many tens of thousands of computers run both together and some of them must also be experiencing this upgrade problem.
Does anyone know what happens if one ignores the warning? Does one get the option to run ZA and Virusscan 7 (without it's firewall)?

The only option I see here is to install VirusScan first without the firewall, then install ZoneAlarm. I don't have this problem since I use VS 4.51 SP1 not version 7.0. I have no problems with this combination.

AVChap

I don't use zone, but I know several people who've gotten rid of pro and gone with zone alarm lite. Maybe this would help? Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]
"What is harder than rock, or softer than water? Yet soft water hollows out hard rock. Persevere."
Ovid(43BC-17AD); Roman poet.

I'm new here and probably doing it all wrong.
My ZA Plus, installed in July stopped working early September. ZA help desk is pretty useless and online handbook likewise.
When I try to re-download or uninstall, the system hangs with a cyclic series of prompts that prevent either being accomplished.
Meanwhile, my security has been breached by someone working for my ISP and I'm desperate.
Help please
Peter Sidwell

sidwellp

Welcome to Tek-Tips. [thumbsup]

Click this link. forum924

Scroll down and fill in the problem in the areas at the bottom of the page.

If you want to get the best possible answer, then fill in a descriptive subject for the thread.

For any other issues that you wish to post, simply go to the appropriate forum and at the bottom of the forum main page, there will be a textarea where you can post your problems.

The textareas at the bottom of each post are for people to post replies, your question will be more likely to get answered if you follow the above and start a new thread.

Hope this helps Wullie

sales@freshlookdesign.co.uk

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails. - John Maxwell

I ignored the warning and installed VS Pro 7.0 anyway with ZA pro. I haven't yet had a problem with either program. I think the warning is there because VS Pro 7.0 comes with McAfee's firewall, which I'm sure they'd prefer that you use.

I received the same message about installing VS7 with ZA already installed. I had been using VS6 and ZA, and just did the upgrade and ignored the error message. Everything seems to be working fine. I also would like to know what the problem would be, if anyone ever find out.

Hi everybody,

you should overall consider the certain circumstances (Software Releases etc.):
I was previously working with Win2k SP3 and ZA Pro 3.0.134 very well without any problems. Then I installed McAfee Virus Scan Pro. 7.0 and got the same message you mentioned about "recommended deinstalling ZA Pro". I thougt "fake" and installed it. Everything was running well (updating scan.dat etc.), until I was rebooting: Blue Screen appeared. Only way to boot was with boot option "last functionning install" - without McAfee VS started! Then I tried McAfee VS Rel. 6.02 - same result.

At the moment I'm still working on a workaround.

Regards,
Rainer

To correct this issue and others stemming from ZAP and Antivirus, if you are scanning email with AV, disable and let ZAP handle it.

Hi everybody,

I have encountered the same problem. Installed Virsuscan 7.0 Home edition on a Win98 PC running Zonealarm 3. Got the message but installed anyway. System worked a few times and then Zonealarm complained that the Truevector software had a problem. It blocked all internet traffic and only allowed surfing to the Zonealrm website. Have re-installed bot products a few times in different orders with the same result. Have also asked the McAfee helpline which mentioned that VScan 7.0 includes some firewall functionality that may conflict with Zonealarm. They recommended installing Vscan 7 without the firewall functions, but I found this to be impossible.

Now I can not work normally with both programmes working.

I have a strong feeling this is an attemt to get you to buy a McAfee firewall! I will get them again to solve the problem and let you know.

Anyone else had the same problems? Please report it to McAfee as well.

Regards,

Thankyou hempjammer, that worked.

I shutdown ZA pro first, then did the install, then configured VirusScan to only scan the drives and not do any fancy email stuff (eg.HAWK < whatever that is)... then rebooted, and everything was okay.

Thanks very much for making things easy McAfee (he uttered sarcasticly).

I Run ZoneAlarm Pro and had McAfee VirusScan Pro 6 and upgraded to 7.

I ignored the warning ... they (McAfee) want you to disable their competitor! And then I disabled the McAfee firewall during installation using the Custom install opetion.
Have't had a bit of trouble since, and it's been over 6 months now.
Chalmers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back