Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Zone Alarm not supported on User Account

Status
Not open for further replies.

diulasing

Technical User
May 10, 2003
CA
Hi,
After the latest Zone Alarm and Window up-date on my XPPro SP2 system, I got this message " To Protect ZoneAlarm Security Srttings from unauthorized access, Zone Alarm is not supported on Guest Account. " when my Guest log on to the Guest Account. And If Zone Alarm is locked after a period of surfing in-activity, there is no way the Guest can un-lock Zone Alarm other then switching to Power User log on to un-lock ZA, which means I have to be present all the time.
Did not notice until some Guest were having problem surfing the Net.
Too bad I had the habit of deleteing the uninstalled files after Window up-date, now I cannot do an uninstall.
Is there any solution to this other than have ZA's feature turn off ?
Thanks in advance.

Why not just create an account that's got restricted rights and let the user use that one?

Simon

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

BadBigBen,
That was the Window updates that I delete the un-install files.
Because I did not go on the Guest Account often, I did not know the Problems until user(s) told me about them.

SimonDavis,
That is what I am doing on this computer. The wife use the Power User Account and Friends use the User Account.
Now I have to set it to " Open to Net " all the time even User not Surfing.
I hope ZA is strong enough to block intrusion this way.

I will try to re-install ZA and see what happens.

Thanks everybody.

That was the Window updates that I delete the un-install files.
I don't see the relevance of this in the problem...

I would just get rid of ZA, in my experience it has been more trouble than it was worth, e.g. unbootable PC's, total web lockouts, TCP/IP mess ups, etc., and I had switched to COMODO Internet Suite (IMHO is a lot better at intrusion detection and less of a hassle to set up than ZA)...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.

I would stick with a good AV product and the Windows Firewall as well as the router, that configuration has never let me down.

Alternatively use Eset Nod32, best AV product I have used and they also do a firewall product as well (just updated to it but not installed it yet).

Simon

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

Hi all,
Somehow the restore points does not work back even to early March. So I am stuck.
Yes I checked ZA forum, there is one such Question in the ' Installation ' section regarding the same message I had when log on to Guest account, in March too. But there is no solution and/or reply by anyone.
Actually ZA on my computer is very good, block out a lot of intrusion and kept my computer un-affected.
Just a thought. Is there anything in Security Settings that will cause this to happen.

Thanks again.

Can you clarify what you mean by restore points fail to work, can you access them but the restore fixes nothing or are you just not able to get a restore loaded at all?

Can the Guest account be given permissions to access only ZoneAlarm files, or registry settings, which actually control who can, or cannot, unlock any locking, if that is what you really want?

How about you look at something like this.

Get SteadyState now and run a special account for your guests but as a user ZoneAlarm can tolerate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back