Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Zipped folder not bocked yet won't extract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Konglow

Technical User
Aug 7, 2005
Windows XP blocks zipped folder from extracting. Went to properties and there is no blocked to unblock. How do I unzip?

WIN XP Pro
ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe
DEMON Black Chrome 580W
AMD Athelon 2600 Barton 2.1
CORSAIR 1 GByte TwinX DDR Matched
BFG GeForce 6800 256 GT OC
Audigy 2 ZS/Altec Lansing 7.1
ViewSonic 21" G810 Dual Monitors
5 HDD total 600 GB

What is your Zip program called or is it just that which is included with XP?

How To Use Compressed (Zipped) Folders in Windows XP

Are the zipped files password protected or encrypted? Do you have the correct access permissions to the zipped file? Do you have you have the correct access permissions to any destination folder?

What are the sizes of these files, are they multi-gigabyte size?

Try the registry fix supplied here.
XP won't open or create ZIP files.
thread779-883004

Some general things to try.

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problem with zipped files.

Try Safe Mode (Do you have this problem in Safe Mode?).

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Select both boxes.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

I tried the gpalmer711 tip you linked me too but there was no change. This is an 854k zipped movie file. I am using WINZIP and WINRAR and neither of them will open the file. I'll try safe mode and system restore next. Thanks for helping.

WIN XP Pro
ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe
DEMON Black Chrome 580W
5 HDD total 600 GB

What is the file extension of the file you are trying to open? It may be that this one file is corrupt and needs re-downloading or recreating. Can you open other zipped files without problems?

The file is exe. and I get the same thing with others of the same. Have yet to try SafeMode or SysRestore.

WIN XP Pro
ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe
DEMON Black Chrome 580W
5 HDD total 600 GB

If the file is a .exe file, why are you sure it's a .zip file? There are lots of other executable compressed files besides the .zip type, and none of them allow extraction with the .zip engine. Is there any reason you can't simply move the file to the folder desired and double-click it?

Sloth is the mother of invention. Necessity is just a mother...

Zip files that end with "EXE" are called "self extacting".

Normally all you need to do is go
1) Go to Start
2) Run Select file
3) Hit ok

That's it the file will run and either install of just extrate the files. Word of caution make sure you check the file with you anti-virus program. That is of course true for all files.

Never Say Never (Romeio Void)

Homebuilt MSI MD5000MD-5000 M-ATX, 2.4Gig, 393mb, WinXp Pro
Homebuilt Iwill KK266R-Plus, 768mb, WinXp Pro

what happens when you launch the file from a cmd prompt?

what are the effective ntfs permissions on the file?

-thefourthwall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back