Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Zip Tones...what are they and why would I use them....

Status
Not open for further replies.

rstockton

MIS
Aug 13, 2001
US
I've been advised by our switchboard operator that:

This is a way to route calls coming into a call center. The calls still goes into queue when there are more calls than agents available. The way a zip tone works is this. A call comes in. Betty is available to take the call. The call automatically "zips" right to her phone. She does not have to push a button to answer the phone, it is automatically there. The switch sends the calls to each rep as they become available. They are held in queue if all reps are busy. Most of your larger call centers utilize zip tones. They are the most efficient way to handle a large volume of calls. This works well in a call center that is manned by several reps. This way calls are not missed because someone did not "hear" the phone ring.

Would someone please confirm/clarify and tell me how one might set this up for testing?
Oh..we have a Definity G3si. Our call center uses Callmaster (IIIs and IVs) and has 10 Agents.

tia.

-r

rstockton, try changing the following field on page-2 of your Agent's Station Forms.

Auto Answer - ACD

The only issue I've come across was that at one of our smaller sites we are using RONA (Ring On No Answer) and to the best of my knowledge RONA cannot work if using Auto Answer.

Good luck!

Also, ensure that the following is turned on in System Parameters.

change system-parameters features

"Hear Zip Tone Following VOA - Yes"

It work pretty much like Your operator said. If you would like to set it up and test use a dummy queue at your desk or something. Follow the steps of Janney. The phone setup will need a head set for the zip tones to work. The agent login needs to have the Auto Answer set to ACD. The station needs a couple of new buttons as well. You will need to have a Release and Auto-in button setup. After that you can add VDN of Origin Annc. Extension. Wisdom is Knowledge
that is Shared

Thanks All Phoneman2

To answer your question, zip tone is a series of beeps that an agent hears as a call is delivered to them. Here is a little more information from the AVAYA Definity Documentation.

Ringing vs. zip tone for incoming calls

When a call arrives at a voice terminal, the agent may hear ringing or zip tone (beeping), depending on how the voice terminal is administered. Ringing is recommended when an agent answers calls using the handset. When a call connects to the agent’s voice terminal, the voice
terminal rings, and the agent picks up the handset to answer the call. Zip tone is recommended when the agent uses a headset to answer calls. (Zip tone can also be used with a handset, but the agent must hold the handset and listen for the zip tone.)
When a call connects to an agent’s voice terminal, the agent hears one of the following types of zip tone:
One burst of zip tone-For calls dialed directly to the split (or agent extension on the DEFINITY ECS and the Generic 3 switch)
Two bursts of zip tone (Generic 2 switches only)-For calls
intraflowed from another split
Three bursts of zip tone (Generic 2 switches only)-For calls interflowed from another location.

Then, without pushing any buttons, the agent greets the caller.

Ringing (called “manual answer” in switch administration) or zip tone (called “automatic answer” in switch administration) is established on a per-voice terminal basis through switch administration.

hope this helps.

Japanese User

You would make the change to the agent login form in the switch. I guess you could make a station have a zip tone, But in a call center you would have it on the agent login Wisdom is Knowledge
that is Shared

Thanks All Phoneman2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back