Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Zenworks Reboots workstations

Status
Not open for further replies.

IdahoTech

IS-IT--Management
Sep 30, 2002
US
The problem I am having I have seen no where else. Either here or Novells Knowledge base.

For some reason my Netware Client makes my machine reboot itself once I log in. Has anyone seen this?? I was attached to a server with Client for Desktops 3.2 and then reconnected to my server with Zenworks 4.0.1 and the proper patches. Is there a file that it is having a problem with?

I do not get the application launcher nor do I get my icons on my desktop from my NAL. Any help would be great.

IdahoTech
'Only two things are infinite - the Universe and human Stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the Universe' Albert Einstein

Which Novell Client version are you running? Since you are running ZfD 4.0.1 on the server you should be running the 4.0.1 ZfDAgent on your desktop, not the old 3.2 files included with the Novell Client.

Matt

I thought I was. I had it installed then one day when I went to reboot I was stuck in this situation. I have the client installed now but not the agent. When I do install it again it just keeps rebooting. Kinda weird that all of the sudden it would start doing that.

I will however uninstall all novell from my system and try to reinstall from scratch. If you can think of any files that could be the please let me know.

Thanks

IdahoTech
'Only two things are infinite - the Universe and human Stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the Universe' Albert Einstein

Have you patched your ZENworks server to the latest version? IR4 is the release number. It has a new ZfDAgent with it as well.

Another thing to check is your video drivers. There sometimes is an issue with the Remote Control mirror drivers in the ZFDAgent. I've had problems with my Matrox dual head video card and I know of other sites that have had reboot issues with NVidia hardware. A lot of times updating to the latest available video drivers helps, but not always.

Matt

Will it work OK in safe mode?

The management agent install now includes an option of 'Mirror driver' under remote management, try installing it with & without this, as it can cause / fix some problems.
We had a problem with some rebooting to a blue screen after installing the agent, the fix was to rename drishti.dll to drishti.old (in windows\system dir)

Well part of the problem may be is my testing environment.

I was installing a new test server and only have I believe ZFD 4 sp1 but not without the other two patches that it needs. My Client is the latest and so are my video drivers. So maybe after logging into the new test server without all the patches then trying to log in to my origianl IT server it replaced a file or something that does not allow me to reconnect properly.

I was hoping to go to ZFD 4 for next year but this sends waves of morbid terror down my spine if it pulls this when you try to switch servers.

I believe that it is changing some file or setting in Zenworks somewhere on the local system, then again I could be wrong but could be possible, yes??

IdahoTech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back