Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Zenworks 7 Desktop Management

Status
Not open for further replies.

dleggett

Technical User
Feb 28, 2007
US
We are getting ready to implement the Desktop Management portion of Zenworks 7. Is there any tips that anyone can share with me? What do you like about it? What you don't like about it? Learning some of the scripts would be very helpful. I have used it in the past but it was one of those times if you don't use if for a while you loose it. Anything else you would like to add that I have missed. Thanks for your help.

Don't try to do too much all at once. Take it in phases, by component. ZDM is an awesome product, but if you take on too much at once, you'll piss a lot of people off.

Check your licensing. I never got into the sales aspect of it, but I think if you buy Zen7, you also get Zenworks Asset Inventory (at least the last few deployments I did the client had the license and as far as I knew they just bought Zen7). Now this product only gives you inventory, does not give you asset management, that I know is an additional license fee. Only people that really need that product are those that want to do some pretty in depth tracking of license usage. It is very management intensive, so you MUST have a need for it to really justify the added cost in managing such a product.

However, the asset inventory is far superior to the inventory tool built into Zenworks7 (hence why Novell bought it and dropped their in house developed inventory tool). Just note, the version that comes with Zen7 runs on Windoze and uses M$ SQL database.

Zen does come with Patch Managment, but here is the catch .... all you get is a 90day 100PC eval. You must buy a subscription for that product. Tip: Call Novell Technical Services and request the languages you do not care about in your network to be removed from your update list if you use that product. The call is free, you don't need to speak to a Novell tech, the operators can handle that for you.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Brent Schmidt SPOOOOON!!!!! [hippy]
Senior Network Engineer
Keep IT Simple

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back