Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ZENworks 4sp1 (Zfd) Error 100 Registering Workstation 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 11, 2002
US
PROBLEM:
When ZWSREG.EXE runs, manually or during logon, the PC is not registered in the WORKSTATIONS.
Manually running zwsreg -importserver 10.10.10.39 causes the following error to appear:
ZENWSREG
The workstation registration process has aborted because the user does not have sufficient rights to the registry. Contact your administrator.

ENVIRONMENT:
Windows XP SP1 PC, Novell 4.90 SP1 client, ZENworks for Desktop Client 4.0 SP1. Users are only members of the USERS group and cannot be added to any other groups.

QUESTION:
Are there certain reg keys that can have the permissions changed to allow this to complete successfully?

What version of ZEN is this and what client components do you have installed on the workstation. Also what client version?

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

ZENworks for Desktop Client 4.0 SP1
All components were installed: Application Management, Workstation Manager, Workstation Inventory, Remote Management, Mirror Driver, and Workstation Imaging.

Is this what you were asking for?
CF'87

This might not help, but Automatic Workstation Import is much easier than what you're trying to do. Just setup a server policy and associate it with the right container, and tell it where to import the workstations. boom. you're done. Except you need a ZENWSIMPORT setup in your DNS that points to the ZFD server.

Your specific problem just sounds like you don't have the associations setup correctly with your policies and containers.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

Automatic workstation import is far easier than running around and manually importing each workstation. But I think the problem is the fact that you are trying to run this process as a member of the User's group. I've had many strange things not work right because my users were not setup with at least Power User or Administrator. My company sets up all users as Administrator on the local workstation, and then uses Group Policies to restrict access on the desktop.

Thanks to everyone for responding. LERDALT got me thinking, so I used my handy dandy REGMON (free from sysinernals: ) and I monitored the workstation registration process loged in as Administrator. 3000 lines later, I found that if you set the USERS group to FULL Control on the following keys, this works as it should.
Permissions assigned:
Administrators - Full
CREATOR OWNER - Special (You can't change this)
SYSTEM - Full
Users - Full

HKLM\Software\Novell
For some reason, these permission changes didn't go down all subkeys and the following had to be changed as well.
HKLM\Software\Novell\WM
HKLM\Software\Novell\Workstation Manager
HKLM\Software\Novell\ZenPol Objects
HKLM\Software\Novell\ZENworks

Thanks everyone.
CF87

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back