Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ZenWorks 3.2 Policy Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZenManiac

IS-IT--Management
May 9, 2002
US
Good Day All,

I need to know how to prevent a user from installing softare on a workstation using ZenWorks 3.2. I am able to lock down alot of features with the plociys but I am unable to located this option. Any help would be great

Thanks
ZenManiac

If you are using Windows 2000, you can edit the Group Policy under the WinNT-2000 tab of your policy package. Clicking on edit should open up the group policy editor. Look under User Configuration --> Administrative Templates --> Windows Components --> Windows Installer and find "disable media source for any install".

This will only prevent installation from a removable media (cd-rom, floppy, zip drive, etc.). I haven't seen where this can be done on 98 machines.

Hope this helps.

Also, U can use the DLU to put the users into the USers group. These dear souls do not have rights to install software unless specifically over-ridden by a policy.

Zen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back