Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ZEN, XP and IE 6 Help Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 30, 2000
US
Need some assistance/suggestions on this one. A little background info first. All servers are 5.1 sp6 with Zen 3.2 sp2. I have 200 wireless laptop XP users. I have DLU set to use Netware credentials to try to minimize name & password problems.

The problem is that the main application they use requires specific settings in Internet Explorer and with .doc and .xls file types. This is my first venture into NT based OS and didn't realize that these settings are wiped out for each new user. This group of users tends to have high turnover as well. I'm stuck as to what to try to use to accomplish the requirments.

I think IEAK will work for IE but won't help with the file types. I think an app object set to force run would work but does it look at the user and will the settings stay once the user goes mobile? I was also thinking of using the manage NT account option in DLU and just setting a generic user with the necessary settings but then that requires the users to change the user and password when they go mobile and also seems to defeat the purpose of having a more "secure" PC.

Thanks in advance.

The easy way to acomplish this; use the snapshot utility.

Just get a snapshot of the changes you want to make the IE settings, create your app object and have it force run. The settings will stay when the user goes mobile.

There is a better way of doing this, but I am not thinking of it right now. Hmm, maybe using the policy support will help. You may see system stuff by default, ut if you drill down enough, you will see options in the group policy to control many functions in IE, and make it for all users.

Post a question in the Windows forum, someone there might have a tweak you can use to force registry settings for all users.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Brent Schmidt Certified nut case [rainbow]
Senior Network Engineer

I'm not sure if this will be too manual for your application but I've had good luck with this.

When setting up each workstation, or setting up a disk image, create a typical user with all the settings you need each new user to have.

Once you are happy all the settings are correct, copy the profile of that user to the default user profile.

This link will explain how if you need it. Creating a custom Default User

Each user profile created will be the same as the custom default user.

Hope this is useful ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back