Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Zen vs Altiris 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyoung7

MIS
Aug 6, 2003
US
I just started a new job and they have Zen 4 but they are not using it for imageing. I have not used Zen in years. I have used a product by Altiris. It is very easy to use and has a lot of power. Zen seems difficult to work with. I am not impressed with Zen after working with Altiris. I do like the application launcher in Zen.

Here is a link if you want to compare the two products. I was unable to find anything good that was not published by Novell, and Altiris did not offer any studies or white papaers on their site.

It's really just user preference and training. I can sit here and tell you how great ZENWorks is and slam Altiris into the ground saying how difficult it is to use. I would find it difficult to use because I am trained on ZENWorks and I know ZENWorks.

The way I see it, if your in an eDirectory enviroment, ZENWorks is the right choice. If your in an Active Directory enviroment, then Altiris is the way to go.

The only thing I see that ZEN has over Altiris (asside from app deploymnet and policy managment) is you can't intergrate Altiris into a pure NetWare enviroment. Only runs on Windows and only uses M$ technology. ZEN however will run from a Windows server as well as a NetWare server, because eDirectory is cross platform and you don't even need a Novell client to use the features of ZFD4. Then to sync your Active Directory data with eDirectory, ZFD shipps with a DirXML driver for Active Directory.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Provogeek
CNE Network+
Experience

Certified nut case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back