Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Zebra SIP handsets to MiVB

Status
Not open for further replies.

AH64Armament

Vendor
Sep 5, 2008
US
We have a hospital that is changing some of their software to something that uses bar code readers on Zebra Model TC520K handsets. These handsets can also do SIP soft-phones and they have their own app.

We can get this to work and it shows registered to the phone system. We can make outbound calls. Inbound calls don't seem to work at all.

I'm looking for someone that might have experience with this handset on a Mitel MiVB (or any other systems)

whats the architecture of the network ?

by outbound and inbound are you referring to ext - ext calls or ext - trunk calls?

looks like handset is wifi connected - is there any thing blocking ports between wifi and MIVB/MBG ( firewall?)
does that firewall have SIP ALG enabled - if so get it disabled)
is there any other sip devices on LAN that work ?
is there codec restrictions in place on MIVB, SIP device, SIP TRUNK ?
is it MIVB with direct registered trunks , is there a MBG involved as sip proxy ?
what software levels are being used

If I never did anything I'd never done before , I'd never do anything.....

The handset is on the site's Wi-Fi. We have other SIP handsets running on the same wifi without issue.
We are not using SIP trunks.
Calls from the handset to anywhere else does work.
Calls from another extension to this handset does not ring the device.

The SIP Extension 3309 Maintenance command shows this while the call is being made from ext 3319 to it.
MEDIA #1 Started at Wed Nov 29 15:26:49 ID: 0x14796bd0(743) 172.16.61.116
85003319 / 3319 CALLED-> 3309 Call-ID: 1524184456-764335308
Media Session never connected
StateMediaStarted(1,0) StateInitiatingSSPReady(3,0)
obj=2777c rt=0 tc=0 SSPc=0 MHc=0 sdpt=0 flags=1000 200020 900000b0 202000 10

The extension is set to "FULL"
Call Rerouting and forwarding is not set.
The PBX software version is 10.0.1.18
The PBX is clustered to another and the extension is set to be resilient (same as all other IP sets).

We have 2 Grandstream Wi-Fi handsets, and about 30 Spectralink handsets. Plus about 275 Analog lines from Grandstream SIP gateways.

have you tried a sip tail on during the call from another ext to this device or a sip tcpdump.

media session sounds like its failing to negotiate a session -perhaps codec problem
im assuming that the sip config on the zebbra is similar to the spectralink or other sip devices and the sdc is also similar

We did some packet captures yesterday with tech support.
The Phone system sends the SIP INVITE to the handset.
The handset responds with 180 Ringing.
Then when we hang up, the phone system sends CANCEL.
the handset responds with 200 OK and 487 Request Terminated.
The phone system sends ACK.

We adjusted the SDC to send the codec with the invite and it did the same thing.

Mitel support indicated that this should be enough to send to Zebra support. Too bad their support is nearly impossible to contact.

So, good news. After we adjusted the config yesterday to "Force sending SDP in initial Invite message set to enable", the call worked.
The guy wasn't there to answer and noticed this morning that there was a missed call.

When I tested with him, the audio on my end was good. He said that his side had poor audio while he was moving/pacing in his office. But was clear when he stood still.

A buddy that works at a larger hospital said that they had issues with Zebra handsets and their wi-fi radio. Zebra's response was to put an AP every 50' or so. That hospital returned the demo units and are using iPhones. The iPhone camera app allows for scanning of the bar-codes easily.

VoWiFi is always a struggle especially in Hospital environments with radiology equipment and thick walls .

Good to hear that you found a solution

These handsets are displaying caller ID of the calling phone as "username 1234@172.16.2.2" - where 172.16.2.2 is the MiVB's IP address.

They would like it to not show the @172.16.2.2.

Does anyone know what options should be enabled or disabled for this?

I spoke to Mitel support. We looked at a packet capture.

The headers that are sent from the MiVB show "Username" <sip:1234@172.16.2.2:5060;transport=udp>
They said that because the username is in quotes, that should be the only thing displayed. The remaining info getting displayed is the end device reading the Address info and displaying that too.

Unfortunately, there's not much that can be changed on the softphone app.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back