Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

z/OS QMF V10R1 Question on DSQEC_LAST_RUN Global Variable

Status
Not open for further replies.

ks01

MIS
Aug 11, 2002
US
Hello ...

I'm not sure if I'm posting this question in the correct forum, if not, please let me know.

I'm hoping someone has some experience with the DSQEC_LAST_RUN global variable. I read this variable controls the updating of the LAST_USED column in Q.OBJECT_DIRECTORY. Our installation has this option set to "0", which causes the timestamp to update to the current timestamp any time a CONVERT, DISPLAY, EXPORT, IMPORT, LAYOUT, PRINT, RUN, or SAVE command is issued.

When it comes to managing our group libraries, if a user accesses an object (e.g. looking for code from one query or proc that was already written, etc...), for our purposes, it gives a false impression of when an object was really "last used." Since we perform reporting on QMF objects, this causes a bit of a problem for us. We have over 80,000 objects from the last 20+ years and we’re looking for a way to delete objects that are no longer valid or no longer used.

There are other options that will restrict the timestamp from being updated to only "RUN" commands. We have the option to temporarily changing this variable by setting the global to “1” (e.g. SET GLOBAL (DSQEC_LAST_RUN=1), however, this only persists for the current session.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what we can do so that when users access QMF, the option can be set to "1", on a per-user basis? Our system programmers are not willing to change the option globally.

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks you in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back