Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

YTD - Measure oddity

Status
Not open for further replies.

buddafish

Programmer
Apr 26, 2002
US
Hello All -
I have an issue with a YTD measure. Being pretty new to MDX I found several examples and they all look pretty much the same. Here is my code:

Sum(YTD([Time].[Year Quarter Month].CurrentMember),[Measures].[Pounds])

When analyzing YTD-Pounds by ProductType July-07 & July-08 in ProClarity (creating this measure in ProClarity, not using the SSAS YTD Measure), I return all 8 product types and the pounds for each unique month. - Perfect.

When using the SSAS version of YTD-Pounds (created as a Calculated Member) for this analysis, one ProductType does not return. I have determined that choosing only the month of July is part of the problem because the only sale of the missing product type was in April. If I select January through July, then of course I see the number.

I want to believe that a YTD measure will give exactly that: Year to Date, no matter what point in time is selected. Thus April is before July and if I choose July then I get Jan-July YTD values. Am I wrong here?

The only other thing that is unique here is that the ProductTypes are defined in the Data Source View as a Named Calculation in a Case statement and this AWOL ProductType happens to be a subset of a top level group.

Is there limitations to using Named Calculations that I need to keep in mind? I read as much as I could find on these and did not find references to short commings. This is the cleanest way for me to determine this ProductType at this time, without going back to the ETL process and reworking.

Thanks in advance for any ideas and I apologize for the lengthy post!

Scottie

paste your MDX stored in th cube. My hunch is that adding an IIF to convert null pounds to 0 will solve the problem, but I want to see what you are doing.

Paul
---------------------------------------
Shoot Me! Shoot Me NOW!!!
- Daffy Duck

Paul - thanks for taking a look. Here is the MDX for my YTD-Pounds measure:

Sum(YTD([Time].[Year Quarter Month].CurrentMember),[Measures].[Pounds])

scottie

I don't have food mart on my system here so I will look at it tonight.

Paul
---------------------------------------
Shoot Me! Shoot Me NOW!!!
- Daffy Duck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back