Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

youtube videos won't play?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1DMF

Programmer
Jan 18, 2005
GB
Hi,

I have a Windows Vista user, who cannot play youtube videos.

They are running Vista x64 with IE9 as default but when they visit a youtube video the loading bar won't load all the way, it seems to loop several times as though it is trying to load the video , but then error with an error message that it can't play the video.

It does exactly the same in FF.

Things I have done.

1. disabled hardware acceleration on flash settings.

2. re-installed flash

3. uninstalled Firefox and re-installed.

4. uninstalled IE9 back to IE8

5. re-installed java

6. updated video drivers

7. cleared all cache

The youtube video plays fine on my PC and others, it's just this one Vista user it refuses to play on.

Any idea why this is happening and how to resolve it?

Thanks,
1DMF.

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

Free Dance Music Downloads

What's the exact error message? Can the computer play flash videos from other sites?

Ok 1st up, you don't need Java to play youtube videos. Java is not javascript, two completly different things, so unless you actually need Java, take it off.
Is it enabled in the browser? In i.e. look under add-ins, not sure in older versions but 10 is Manage Add-ons, in FF I think it's under settings > applications. It may be called Shockwave Flash player.
Then check javscript is enabled. Remeber Javascript, not java.

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

guitarzan -> 'An error occurred, please try again later'

sympology -> It's OK Robert, I know the JS vs Java difference. someone suggested it on a forum with similar issues, so I thought it wouldn't hurt :)

I've left it with the server support guys for 3 days now and they can't seem to fix it either?

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

Free Dance Music Downloads

Can the user play other videos from other sites? BBC, etc. Can they play music from other sites? I had an issue once where the router was 1 GB but the rest of the infrastructure was 100 MB. Even with the computer set at "auto negotiate" there were issues with buffering and YouTube did exactly what you describe. Other sites would play from 3 seconds to 1 minute of whatever was being viewed or listened to and then start buffering and never stop.

I'm not saying that its the router as obviously other users can play YouTube videos but it might be a similar incompatibility.

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read Tek-Tips posting polices before posting.
Canadian members check out Tek-Tips in Canada for socializing, networking, and anything non-technical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back