Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

YouTube for a single user

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevePB

Technical User
Dec 6, 2001
GB
We have a SonicWall Pro 4060 and are using the SonicWall Content Filtering Service. I need to block access to YouTube and Web TV sites, but have found the CFS only offers "MP3/Streaming" which doesn't appear to work for these sites.

The current, far from ideal, solution is to block the ".tv" domain, along with a number of sites by name in the forbidden domains list, and add ".flv" and ".swf" to the keyword blocking list.

Is there a better way ? And is there a way to allow one user (webmaster) access to flash based content without just white listing him, thereby allowing everything ?

Any help would be much appreciated.

I block sites that aren't auto blocked in the CFS config section, and then exclude someone by ip address in the exclusion section. I don't know how you could just unblock a single service for a single user. I have a PRO 2040 so pretty much the same I would think.

-Reece

You may find the Intrusion Pervention Service helpful with this. Also sonicwall makes a Premium content filter service wich allows you to create mulitple filter polices.

Thanks for your replies Reece and joepc.

I'm trying to avoid entering individual sites as there would be too many - hence the use of the domain identifiers and wild cards.

We do have the premium content filter service, but I can't see how to block this type of traffic, and allow it for one person.

How would the intrusion prevention service be used for this ?

Well, IPS detects the type of traffic using deep packet inspection where as CFS just blocks domain names and IPs.

With Premium CFS you can create different content filter policies. You can then apply a specific policy to a sonicwall user account (even AD accounts with single sign on) or zones.

Thanks for your help joepc.

In that case, I'll investigate creating and applying a custom content filter for the webmaster, as we don't have a licence for the IPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back